Battery question

Ok. So this is a car battery but assume same applies. New battery sitting in car goes dead over a week or so, not driven. Now battery won't take a charge. Manual charger reads 00. Replaced it with a new battery, same result in few weeks. Can something in car drain battery, such that it won't take a charge anymore? Or have I gotten a bad battery ? Is my car ruining these batteries .?

2. Banned
    Yes, something in your car is draining the battery.. Could be one of several things.. Also... some chargers will not (start) charging a battery that is completely dead. The battery needs to have some charge left in it for the charger to start charging..

Hook jumper cables up to a good battery for a while to get some juice into the dead battery then hook up charger.

3. Member
    If you are not well versed with troubleshooting car battery/alternator/electrical problems you might want to have a pro look at it. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Measure the voltage on the battery while the car is running. The most likely scenario is it isn’t charging or is overcharging. I expect Autozone will test the alternator for you. Don’t know how old the car is, but it could have a separate voltage regulator.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    If you have an DC ammeter with everything off clip one of the cables coming off the battery it should be 0 amps or very close (some ammeters you have to pull the cable off and put the meter in series with the battery (this kind you can get for $15), most go up to 10 amps, (fused inside the meter). If you have current on the cable you can stat pulling fuses until the amp meter drops to 0. Check what fuse it is and that is where your drain is coming from. Something to point out it has to be a DC ammeter. Also you will have to make sure your interior lights are out when doing this. Just make sure the meter can test in milliamps range. There will still be a few milliamps even with everything "off".

Yes could be the alternator as well.
    Brake lights could be getting stuck on, had an old truck that did this

6. Member
    Yeah. I realize something in car is killing battery. Car hadn't been driven at all after fully charging battery. Period. My question is have I ruined the new battery by it sitting dead for a few weeks.

I will hook jumper cables to start the charging process since the charger won't start charging by itself.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baitban View Post
    If you have an DC ammeter with everything off clip one of the cables coming off the battery it should be 0 amps or very close (some ammeters you have to pull the cable off and put the meter in series with the battery (this kind you can get for $15), most go up to 10 amps, (fused inside the meter). If you have current on the cable you can stat pulling fuses until the amp meter drops to 0. Check what fuse it is and that is where your drain is coming from. Something to point out it has to be a DC ammeter. Also you will have to make sure your interior lights are out when doing this. Just make sure the meter can test in milliamps range. There will still be a few milliamps even with everything "off".

Yes could be the alternator as well.
    Brake lights could be getting stuck on, had an old truck that did this
    thanks. I will do this when I get ready to trouble shoot.

8. Member
    The noco genius chargers have a repair option, not sure if it will work tho, I think all it dose is puts 12v on it for a few min to see if it holds voltage. You could try and parallel it to another battery, or if you have some sort of 12v supply you could hook and see if it "picks up " some voltage the try charging it. Just be careful if you do parallel it, you could get some sparks and hydrogen from charging/ discharging that could case a battery to explode. From past experience I would say the battery is toast but you never know.

9. Banned
    [QUOTE=munchie;11865933]Yeah. I realize something in car is killing battery. Car hadn't been driven at all after fully charging battery. Period. My question is have I ruined the new battery by it sitting dead for a few weeks.

No, Should be fine once you get a full charge on it.

10. Member
    [QUOTE=mxmike;11866122]
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Yeah. I realize something in car is killing battery. Car hadn't been driven at all after fully charging battery. Period. My question is have I ruined the new battery by it sitting dead for a few weeks.

No, Should be fine once you get a full charge on it.
    Key word. Hopefully the battery is in good health.

11. Member
    You battery has been hurt. If it still works good enough, know it is not as good as it was. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

If you have a regular car battery charger that has a 2amp option, unhook the cables and try charging on 2 amp over night or longer. Then try whatever the other option is other that Boost. Should be 10 or 15 amp. To check for what is draining your battery, unhook the NEG cable, put a test light between the battery post and ground. It should light. Now start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out. That will be the circuit that is drawing from the battery and causing your problem
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Member
    It's probably the engine control module or computer killing your battery. It keeps a slight draw maintaining the memory circuitry which will kill your battery in a week or two. Some vehicles are worse than others. Disconnect it if you are going to let it sit for two weeks or longer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    It's probably the engine control module or computer killing your battery. It keeps a slight draw maintaining the memory circuitry which will kill your battery in a week or two. Some vehicles are worse than others. Disconnect it if you are going to let it sit for two weeks or longer.
    Ahhh, this is probably it.. I hooked jumper cables and let it charge for a while, then the manual charger took over, reads a full charge now, may I am good. Will have to try and run it more. Thanks everyone

15. Member
    Modern vehicles have radio receivers running 24/7 to check for signals from your remote key controls. These will slowly run your battery down if you don't use the vehicle regularly.

But it brings up a question on our hybrid Ford Fusion. The dash gauge shows percentage of charge in the main battery. Being a hybrid it runs on battery about 25% (?) of the time and with the generator running and charging the rest of the time.

Occasionally we arrive home and park it with (for example) say 33% charge in the main battery but when we go to drive the next morning the main battery is down below 10% and the generator starts immediately. WHERE DID ALL THAT ENERGY GO? Enough for perhaps 1 mile of driving - more than a radio or computer could use.

I assume that there is a charging system from the high voltage main battery that charges the 12 volt utility battery that could be running while the vehicle is parked but not THAT MUCH energy?

16. Member
    I pulled every fuse in a Grand Prix, With DC amp probe attached, isolated it down to a 60 amp Battery #1 main fuse. Still don’t know the problem but it quit killing the battery.