Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Fight electrical gremlins

2000 Ficht 150 e150fplssm ser. no. G04865974.
    Been having a lot of electrical problems. From no alarm,no crank and no trim.(A first in the 14 years I have owned this motor)
    I Replaced the key switch, (Trouble shooting found if I removed the kill switch wire from the switch and it would start and run fine.)
    Another time it would blow the 20 amp fuse, replace fuse and start fine. Next it would blow the 10 amp
    Fuse (the one by it self between the relays) Then run fine.
    All of these times are this past two weeks. Never had these problems before.
    I checked for cut or broken wires and found none.
    Today I replaced one ignition wire because it was loose on the spark plug and thought all was well. It fired right up and tried the trim switches while it was running and it would trim UP but not DOWN. I shut the motor off and checked all 10 AMP fuses and all were fine. Retried trim and it worked both up and down. Tried to restart motor and NOTHING. No pre-start alarm and no crank but rim worked both ways.
    Checked 20 Amp fuse and it was blown.
    The only problems I found was corroded solenoid main cable wires(which I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to them.) Could it be my fuse panel (Power Distribution Panel)?
    I am at a loss.
    Last edited by JonW; 05-07-2021 at 04:27 PM.

2. Member
    I just tried it again after replacing the 20 AMP fuse and the pre start alarm comes on with beep. The fuel pump turns on and it cranks great but will not start.
    Voltage shows 12.4v. Trim works both up and down and from trim switch at steering wheel and switch on motor.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Recharge battery and try again. Check all grounds at power head also.

4. Member
    Picked up new OEM PDP. Found two more corroded ground wires. DAMN MICE!! Will report back after I get done with the installation and recharging battery. Thanks Michael!

5. Member
    Well installed new PDP and cleaned both corroded grounds. Charged battery to 12.8v,disconnected charger and tried to start the motor. It spins great but no start. NO fuses are blown but I didn't hear the fuel pump turn on. The trim works both ways so I switched the replays from the trim up and down to the stop & Ign. and the other to the fuel pump. Still not start but again no blown fuses. I get all 4 lights on the gauge and they all go out along with the short alarm then that shuts off. The tach does jump when I turn the key to run position.

6. Member
    Just went out and the battery was at 13.2v. Turned the key (didn't wait for lights to go out, just hit the start button) and she fired up. I didn't have the water turned on for the muffs so I shut it off. Went and turned the water on and hit the key again and it just cranked and cranked, no start. I tried again but this time I let the lights go out and alarm to be quiet and I DID her the fuel pump but it just cranked and cranked and no start.
    Tomorrow is another day. Beer time!

7. Member
    I just went out and turned the water on for the muffs and the motor started after the third try. I ran it for 5 minutes (ran great) and shut it off and tried again and she lit right away.
    I am going to try it again in an hour or so. It doesn't make sense. Yesterday it wouldn't start. Let it sit overnight and she starts right up.
    Last edited by JonW; 05-09-2021 at 07:32 AM.

8. Member
    I just went out and tried it. It cranked and didnt start. Tried again and NOTHING from the motor. Checked 20 AMP fuse and it was blown.
    I give up!

9. Member
    Sounds like you need to go here and get a service manual. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=638013
    use the 1999 version if necessary. The wire harness diagrams should help identify the short or device that is blowing the 20 amp fuse. Remember fuses are there to protect something. Think in terms of “place, amount, and right time” Electricity in the right place, the right amount and time. Based on description there is an “amount” issue or if a short there is a “place” issue.
    Last edited by bighare; 05-09-2021 at 10:53 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Sounds like you need to go here and get a service manual. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=638013
    use the 1999 version if necessary. .
    They dont list my exact model for 1999. Are the wiring diagrams the same for 2000 motors? Thanks for the link.

11. Member
    Yes

12. Member
    I downloaded the service manual. Now I just have to figure out what to look at.

13. Member
    Follow the color coded wire of the 20 am fuse. Issue is got to be there somewhere.

14. Member
    I did and it goes to the EMM. The number 7 fuse (the one by itself between the replays in the PDP) is grounded somewhere as it has continuity to ground. About to give up and bring it to a dealer. I have been working on this for 3 weekends now.

15. Member
    Good luck

16. Member
    Check the main power cables going from battery to starter. If it is corroded on either end it may cause a voltage loss and you may experience no start issues. You may not see the corrosion either.....sometimes you have to peel back the plastic covering to see this on the bare wires themselves. Will cause voltage loss and motor will not crank at fast enough RPM. Check the battery side first.

17. Member
    I think I made some progress. After cleaning the two motor relays and testing them (they were fine) I pulled the starter out and cleaned the armature and brushes.Put it back in and now it starts everytime.
    Go figure! I think the starter was turning to slow and pulling to many amps and popping the 20 amp fuse. I might just buy a new starter or have this one rebuilt.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you can find an ARCO Jon, you'll save some coin over OEM and comes with a 1 year warranty. Sounds like you are making progress.

19. Member
    Thanks Fred. Its about $10.00 cheaper.

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sierra lists for $141.99 from www.marineengine.com ARCO 161.81 and OEM $191.99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast