Thread: Gout ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gout ??

Any of you guys had Gout?
    I woke up last Wednesday (week ago) with severe pain in my left foot, actually big toe and joint, red and swollen and tender as heck. Went to the doctor on Monday and she said it was gout, I've never had it before, so don't know what would have caused it to flare up. She put me on a prescription medicine (Colchicine), took 2 pills on Monday and 2 more on Wednesday, 2 more to take today. It has improved slightly, but not as fast as I figured or hoped it would. Luckily I had vacation scheduled for this week, so just been taking it easy, and staying off of it as much as possible.
    For those of you that have dealt with Gout, how long did it take to get over it?

2. Member
    I've had it on and off for the last 4 years. It can last as long as 14 days. My flare ups have always been in the big toe on either foot. There are lots of things that contribute to gout, with diet and alcohol being number 1. Cut back on fatty foods, carbs and beer/alcohol. Drink a lot of water to help flush out purines which contribute to uric acid buildup in your joints. Stress can also trigger flare ups. You need to have blood work done to see what your uric acid levels are. Good luck, it is the most painful thing I've ever dealt with. Stay off your feet and elevate the affected foot. Drink as much water as you can.

3. Member
    I take indomethicin for it. It is usually gone in 24 hours. 1 bottle of those pills will do me for 2 years or more. The steroids do nothing for me. Also they sell a bottle of concentrate cherry juice at Walmart in the vitamin isle. Drink about 1/4 of the bottle. Wash it down good with water and drink plenty of water to flush your kidneys.

Good luck, and a miter saw isn't a cure for it.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Gout isn't a lot of fun. It took a couple of weeks for it to go away when I had my first flareup, the only thing I took was Naproxen to help with the inflammation.

I made quite a few changes to my diet as a result of the first flareup. I don't eat shellfish anymore (that was a tough one for me), don't drink hard liquor anymore (that wasn't so tough), replaced sodas with water, now eat chicken a few times a week instead of red meat and only have the occasional beer.

I haven't had a flareup in my big toe for years but 3-4 years ago I did get an attack on the first joint on the index finger of my right hand and it will flare up a little once a year or so. I can usually feel it coming on so I start guzzling more water and get on the Naproxen early in the game and it's no big deal after a couple of days.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 05-07-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    +1 on the tart cherry juice. organic if possible. it helped me. i drink 5 oz. every day before i eat in the morning
    2013 Z 520 C

6. Member
    I take a daily pill, allopurinol, for uric acid levels and also diclofenac when I have a flare. However I've identified a number of items that cause it to flare and haven't had one in over 2 years. Shrimp, zucchini, and lunch meats high in nitrides like salami. Stuff I love to eat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfire View Post
    +1 on the tart cherry juice. organic if possible. it helped me. i drink 5 oz. every day before i eat in the morning
    A coworker told me about tart cherry juice for gout. I don't suffer from gout, but from lactic acid buildup due to pi$$ poor circulation caused by blood clots. Some nights I could barely get any sleep from the ache. I tried it. I drink about 8 oz. at supper or later. Doesn't remove all the aching, but is a big enough help that I am no longer up most of the night suffering. What I like about it is it isn't a drug. And it helps keep my stools soft which is a major concern every since I had a fissure years ago. So.....two birds with one stone.

8. Member
    I also use tart cherry juice for gout. I get it pretty bad in both big toes and the arch joint in my left foot. My family Doctor told me to use the tart cherry juice for it and to drink a small glass a couple times a week as a preventive maintenance and it sure has helped me. It is all I use for my gout. One of the most painful things I have ever had

Thanks for the responses along with the suggestions, and I now have cherry juice to drink.

10. Member
    I have been dealing with it off and on for close to 10 years. Drinking water daily and keeping my system flushed is the best thing for me. I take Indomethacin for flare ups. It is crippling at times. Usually in my toes or arch. Had a flare up in my knee a couple years ago. Started hurting on Monday and by Wednesday I was on crutches. Went to doctor and he drained fluid off. Wasn’t fun at all!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Palatka, Fl (Go east till you smell it then turn south)
    10 years now. It sucks! Welcome to the club.
    Bass caught YTD: 62 Largest Bass YTD: 7.25

http://www.facebook.com/pages/...=wall

12. Member
    Gout: "the Disease of Kings"
    It sucks! Many foods that contribute to the buildup of uric acid in your body.
    check into these foods and compare to your diet.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

My first bout-o-gout was initiated by my new BP meds, Doc changed me from Lisinopril (at my request due to the nightly coughing) to Norvasc. As it turns out, Norvasc causes gout in some folks, and it targets random joints. Mine was left big toe joint, got married with gout and I could barely walk. Doc then changed me to Losartan with no issues. I've had gout since then, probably due to drinking bourbon. No bourbon, no gout. Indomethacin takes 24 hours to ease my pain. I also have Allopurinol to keep the flare-ups at bay but I don't take it. I also take turmeric/curcumin daily for inflammation.

(606)305-1956

14. Member
    I had it in my foot last year, very painful. I diagnosed it by reading the Internet symptoms, the doctor confirmed it. Hurts like hell.

15. Member
    I’ve dealt with it over 25 years,had both ankles operated on because of it !!!
    Quit eating red meat,dry beans,any type of gravy & no type of internal organs from any animal !!!
    Get a prescription of Allopurinal along with not eating this other stuff & you’ll be fine

16. Member
    Was up all night long in intense pain with it. I got the vaccine shot last week and I guess it caused a flair up. Absolutely sucks! I take alapunerol daily but still get it every couple months. Trimidol is my friend during those times!

I have had gout for years. Tried all the home remedies and still got flare ups. Started taking the allopurinol 6 years ago, no more flare ups.

18. Member
    Who has tried vitamin c. Vitamin c is a water soluable vitamin meaning your body does not store it. You need a daily dose way above the minimum rda level. I would say you need a daily dose of 1000 mg to 1500 mg.

You wont overdose on it but you know your limits when you get the runs. Spread your doses out over the day.

I drink zipp fizz that has 500 mg of c. Available at costco. It has a high b vit level. Zipp fizz is kind of fruity but i water it down.

19. Member
    I used to have it- last time was 5 years ago. Went in t urgent care after having 3 flares in 3 months. Took the colchicine and indomethacin for the acute phase then am on allopurinol (100 mg/day, which is 1/3 regular dose) and have not had a flare since. Give me a little pill to take any day over stopping certain foods and having to chase home remedy wives tales.

20. Member
    I just went to the Dr this morning for a flare up. I’ve had 4 flair ups in the last 15 or so years. This one was the first in 5-6 years. It comes on fast and feels like there’s broken glass and needles in the joint on my right big toe. My flair ups are not consistent enough to be on regular medication, but I’ve had very good luck with a steroid shot and a z pack to follow it up. I got a shot at 10am and already few about 50% better.

ive heard a lot about the Cherry juice, but have never tried it. I may add it to my diet a couple times a week as a preventative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast