GEN 2 Touch Mapping Questions

I just bought a boat that came with 2 Gen 2 Touch 12’s. This is also my first boat of my own so I don’t have a ton of intimate knowledge of networking graphs and map cards and the like, but I have a general understanding of all of it. The graphs are networked and the one at the console has a Navionics Chip in it.

My question is, how do I get the maps to show contour shading? I’m pretty sure I turned that option on in the graph menu, but it doesn’t change the display on the topo map. Does that mean the Navionics card that I have doesn’t support contour shading?

Also, when viewing lakes in this area (Kentucky) on the Lowrance built in maps, they just show up with a rough blue outline. No contours and no real defined bank edges. I thought Lowrance had built in mapping, but maybe I’m wrong, or they just don’t include these lakes on their built in mapping.

In the image attached, it looks like Lowrance mapping at top right and Navionics at bottom right. Both show contour shading. Ultimately, I want to be able to do this exact thing. Could someone point me in the direction of how to do that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    There is VERY limited contour shading on Navionics...but as you zoom into the map where you normally need to be, the shading just makes the map dark and fuzzy...not very useful. There are C-Map cards that allow you to do color shading by depth (and that may be what you are referring to) but honestly a Gen 2 unit will struggle with those cards and shading...just not enough horsepower in that unit.

Currently the best card available that allow color shading is the C-Map Discover card but as I mentioned a Gen2 will struggle a bit. There is also a C-Map Reveal card as well but your Gen2 cannot run it at all.

Roy
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service
    Power Pole - Lowrance - Garmin - DD26
    Regional Warranty Service for Lowrance Ghost, Garmin Force, & Power Pole

Phone: 704-762-9066 --- Text: 704-433-1373 --- roy@wackyriggers.com

3. Member
    The built in mapping on any model earlier than this year cannot do color shading. As Roy stated...processors can't handle that much data.
    ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. It’s amazing how far electronics have come in the short timespan from when the GEN2 came out. I’ll live without the contour shading.

I would like to be able to color by contour, but again, it looks like you all said the GEN2 couldn’t handle that even if it had a card capable of it.

Does anyone have any idea why the built in Lowrance map doesn’t show any contours at all? Just a very poor outline of the lakes.

5. Member
    Lowrance base maps are not very detailed. To get high definition mapping you would need a Navionics card and even then, if they haven't mapped that lake it won't be very good. You can check on the Navionics site to see if the lakes you fish are mapped.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175