Why is fence leaning at the top?

Anyone have an idea of why my gates are leaning at the top? The gates are 10' long each and were built on the ground with proper bracing. Everything is square and joined with 4 inch lag screws. The bracings are tight and secured with 2 pocket screws on each end. They are attached with 4 heavy duty hinges to a 4 x 6 post and the gate posts are plum in both directions. I also used a support caster on each gate to help prevent the gate from sagging.

See the images below. The bottoms of the gates line up perfectly, but the tops lean out. Appreciate any ideas.

2. Member
    Because of size, weight and that it is all wood. My fence builder built the gate frame out of metal pipe and then put the wood exterior on that. We also used 6x6 posts for gates.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

3. Member
    That is a lot of wood to try and keep from warping. Let it dry a good long time and then try and wrack it, maybe then a few more braces..

4. Member
    Maybe the post are not in the ground deep enough?

5. Member
    Try lowering the wheels a bit. Looks like the center point where the 2 gates meet is higher off the ground than hinge side.That would pitch the top one way or the other.

Warped by the sun drying out one side faster than the other side. The wetter side is going to tend to be the convex side. Look at the shadows.

7. Member
    Mastergun- - I am a new member here at BBC and have been reading and learning a lot. As you can see, this is my first time posting (I hope I do it right). I have spent most of my life in the carpentry field, so it just so happens that your question hit my wheelhouse. This is comparable to “balancing” a door in a home.

Since you have stated that the gate posts are plumb and that the gates were built on the ground and are square, and it appears that the bottom of each gate is in a straight line with the fence and gate posts, the problem (as mentioned by others) is each gate is twisted (or racked) inward toward your boat motor. Again, mentioned by others, you are dealing with wet, “treated” lumber. Treated lumber is notorious for twisting.

You might try removing or loosening some of the lag screws in each gate, the rack the tops of the gates until they align on the top with the rest of the fence. Then temporarily brace them while reinstalling the lag screws. You might even attach a straight 2x4 across the tops of the gates to hold them while reinstalling the screws. Leave the bracing in place for as long as you can while the lumber dries out a bit. It may end up being something you will have to live with, since treated lumber tends to twist uncontrollably.

Hope this helps, or at least give you an understanding of what is going on.

8. Member
    Thanks Muleheaded. I think the issue may be related to the support roller. Because I took all of the play out of it the spring normally give, it's pushing up on the bottom causing the top to lean in (I hope). I need the support of the roller to prevent sagging so I'm gonna play around with location on the gate, maybe in the middle instead of the end. I'm also considering adding a support roller on the outside of the gate too.

The first two replies have touched on the issue. Warp and strength. Wood warps and you need 6x6 posts extra deep with extra concrete for the gates.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Member
    Just wait until it gets up to 95 degrees for a few days and really dries out and warps. Those vertical boards don't have anything to keep them from moving around as they dry.

11. Member
    It may not look pretty but you could put some wire and a turnbuckle to pull the tops back in line . If you start the wire or cable at the bottom hinge anchored towards the slat side of the gate. Then run it diagonally to the top of the gate where it leans out. Anchor the top end towards the slat side . With a turnbuckle in the middle you can tighten the wire or cable and hopefully the tops will straighten out . I have not done this before but it sounds good in theory.

12. Member
    A quick update on my fence lean. I was able to get most of the forward tilt out by adding a support roller to the front side of the fence. The rollers on the back side were pushing up on the bottom causing the tops to lean outward. After adding the two on the front, it's evened it out quite a bit, I just need to play with the spring tension to fine tune it.
    I still may add a cable and turnbuckle that goes from the gate post to the top of the gate ends for some added support.

13. Member
    Definitely huge/heavy gates.

As highlighted by others, fence needs stabilizing.

Can you add 4’ sections at 90 degrees on each side of the gate?

Need to stabilize the posts where hinges are attached, some way. (As highlighted by others).

It will get worse over time, as the wood dries, and gates sag.

Is the driveway completely flat in front of gates?

As the gate opens and closes, wheels are largest support. If concrete slopes, support of wheels changes as the gate opens/closes.
    Last edited by Charles Prestridge; 05-25-2021 at 01:54 PM.

14. Member
    I was able to get most of the top lean out by adding an additional support roller on the front of the gate to counteract the pressure the single one on the back was pushing up on the bottom forcing the lean. Just need to adjust the back support roller to bring it in strait now.