Fairly new to investing and looking for ideas

Hello all. I have only been investing for a little over 3 years. So far all I have invested in is a handful of mutual funds and so far i think I'm doing ok. But i want to expand some and have been thinking about individual stocks, ETFs or other mutual funds. What would some of you suggest looking at? I am not looking to cheat and not do my own homework but sorting through thousands of different funds is not only time consuming but I find I can never actually make up my mind as to what a good fund is and worth buying. Mostly looking for funds that I'll probably hold for quite some time. Most of my current mutual funds do not pay much in dividends and I would like to add a few stocks, etfs or possibly mutual funds that have good dividend yields. I appreciate any information anyone is willing to give. Thanks.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    There should be a stock screener on your brokerage. There are also some online. Simply input what you're looking for and the screener will give you names. Then research the names.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Here are some dividend stocks and ETFs I currently invest in:

ETFs:

SCHD
    SCHY
    FENY
    FUTY
    FREL
    FSTA

Keep in mind that some ETFs charge high maintenance fees so make sure you research that and compare similar ETFs. The ones I listed have very low fees and pay great dividends.

These are stocks with great dividends that I invest in:

AGNC
    KMI
    ABBV
    UPS

Just wait for a pullback with any of these ETFs or Stocks and start building positions.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated

5. Member
    I got burned on KMI a few years back. Rich Kinder dropped his dividend 75% just about overnight. I will never invest in his company again. It cost me $17,000 and his stock has never came back up where I could break even today. A very volatile stock.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    I got burned on KMI a few years back. Rich Kinder dropped his dividend 75% just about overnight. I will never invest in his company again. It cost me $17,000 and his stock has never came back up where I could break even today. A very volatile stock.
    Join the club. Wasn’t as bad for us as we got in on a dip and got out on a somewhat high spot.

To be fair though, state, provincial and federal governments of both the US and Canada did everything they could to disrupt their operations.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Join the club. Wasn’t as bad for us as we got in on a dip and got out on a somewhat high spot.

To be fair though, state, provincial and federal governments of both the US and Canada did everything they could to disrupt their operations.
    I was in the KMLP and when that was dissolved I took the 2.4 for 1 offer into KMI. I should have sold out of KMLP instead.