Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12’ Jon boat...yes or no?

What does everyone say? Relative is selling a barely used 12’ Jon boat. Would this be a good one to pick up for the 6yr old son and I? I can think of some times it would come in handy and compliment the Ranger. I just worry about weight capacities. I haven’t seen the tag but I can’t imagine a 12’ boat has much of a capacity. Don’t know the exact price yet of what it would be. What would be a good price to pay for 6 year old Jon boat and nothing else?
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    I had a 12 footer as my first boat. It could hold two adults, a 6hp Merc, fuel and trolling motor along with tackle. No problem. A new one can cost upwards a thousand bucks! I just gave mine away just to get rid of it for a couple of hundred dollars. A used one will probably cost $500. Just make sure the young man wears his life jacket, they will tip over! It won't tip over for no reason. If you get to close the edge, then yes. But if you keep your weight in the center, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend it if the kid can't swim though.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I had one a long time ago sold it immediately too tippy.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

4. Member
    Depends on the bottom width- 32” = tipsy 36” better- I sold 50 12-32 jon boats in 2004 to a guy opening a resort, they were $299.00 each.

5. Banned
    I had a 12 footer it was ok. Went up to a 14 for the small lakes though when I don't take the kayak or big boat

6. Member
    I wouldn't consider it unless it was a double wide model for the extra stability. A new one would likely be around a thousand dollars bare.

7. Member
    I had a 1236 to float the river, it did fine but it was very tippy. I'm sure you can make it work burt anything 48" wide or more is waaay mo betta!

8. Member
    Not a boat for a 6 year old to be in. Lean the wrong way and your getting wet. Found out the hard way.

9. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I had a 10foot jon boat. Sometimes we had 3 adults in it! I never got wet!

10. Member
    No. I had a pretty solid 12' Lowe as my first boat with a 9.9 Yamaha. That thing flew but it was way too tippy for 2 people and barely ok for myself. Going up to a 14' was a huge difference.

11. Member
    I would look in the 14/36 range.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    I had one a long time ago sold it immediately too tippy.
    Bought a 14 footer a couple of years ago, decked it out, bought a 15 HP motor, and never got in it. They move around too much.

13. Member
    Too small.

14. Member
    I was introduced to bass fishing in a friends 12' jon. Typical load was us, his dad and a 30 pk of Bud heavies. Good times!

Get a pelican or bass raider .. I have an 8 footer and two grown fat guys can stand up In It and fish .. very stable I am sure the 10 footer is even more stable .. I had a 12 foot aluminum flat bottom that was no where close to as stable .. hard to beat the pontoon design for stability

I like it so much I use it as much as my 21 foot bass boat

16. Member
    Had one and loved it for small, calm bodies of water that had no ramps. Learn how to scull and put the boy in the back where it is wider and safer with a good life jacket on. Since it is a relative ask to borrow it for a day or two to try it out. That way you can see if it works or not. You will then see the flaws of owning one and have some negotiating points to use when you find the price if you decide it will work for you and your son.

Depends on if it’s an actual jon boat (flat bottom). A lot of people call small v hull boats jon boats.
    The flat bottom jon boats are less stable than a v Hull of the same size.
    If you’re not planning on standing up during fishing you’ll prob be ok. Depends on your balance comfort level.
    I got rid of my 12’ v Hull before I turned 40 because I could no longer walk around in it like I had in the past.
    went to a 14’ for a while and it was much better.

18. Member
    If I went the Jon boat route, I would want one like this below. It has a 40" chine (bottom).

https://www.crestliner.com/cr-jons/1200/

My first boat was a 12' Polarcraft. It was deep and heavy, it was all 2 men wanted to carry. I bought it from the original owner who just rewired the trailer, installed new tires and wheels. I spent many all nighters on Lake Herrington and caught a ton of bass from it. I had an 18# thrust Minn Kota at the bow and a 12# thrust Shakespeare on the transom. It was very stable.

(606)305-1956

20. Member
    That boat will be fine for you and your son to use on small lakes and rivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast