Thread: 18' boats ?s

18' boats ?s

Everyone is hung up on the 20' hull size so I thought it start a thread on the 18' hulls over the years. So which one was the fastest? Which had best ride?

2. Member
    I think there were two models labeled as 18'. Sabres, and The Original Eyras. Calicos (fish and Skis) were also available until 1994.

I would assume Sabres were deemed as the better of the 18' boats as it has been around the longest, 1988-present with changes throughout the years.

I'm biased as I have only been in the Sabre. But Easily gets 62-64mph full load. And can handle some rough stuff up here on the great lakes. The only thing I'm afraid to go out on are giant Lake Ontario Rollers, and Oneida when it has a strong West or East Wind. And I'm not sure any bassboat would fair well in either of those conditions.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

Sabre with a 175 is an easy 70 MPH rig. Haven’t ridden in too many other 18 footers to judge the ride, but I am pretty happy with the way mine handles rough water. Very responsive on the trolling motor.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    The 90s Eyra was probably the best 18’ boat made. I’ve got a Sabre now and really enjoy it. But the ‘94 Eyra I had was an animal. Rode extremely well and was fast. It was a 70mph boat with the 175. Loved the day box that it had on the front deck. Just an all around awesome boat

I had a 15 sabre ftd and thought it was a great riding boat for the average pond/ weekend angler. Trailered behind a tacoma like it wasnt there. Newer 4s 150 topped out at 62 with a 23p tempest plus.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

6. Member
    In today's market The Sabre is definately the fastest 18 footer currently on the market. Especially when equipped with a 175. It is also one of the driest riding 18 footers I've been in. My dad has a Triton 189 trx and it is a very nice rig. It rides very well and fishes well but speed wise it isn't even close.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

7. Member
    I always liked the looks of the gen 1 Eyra bet it would really rip with a 200 on it.