Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disappointed with service on new 198p

After 3 + months of waiting for my new 198 it finally arrived and dealers rigging crew did an excellent job rigging trolling motor and electronics ...after getting it home is where the troubles began . When I was ordering the boat I asked if the out long decals down the side of the boat could be left off as they get scratched up with all the old standing timber here in Truman lake , was told NO boats came the way they came no special orders ! OK fine I remove them the same as did on my 188. First side came off with no trouble ( as did with my 188). Second side lifted the paint almost the whole length of the decal .

So as you may expect I went to dealer to see if I could get factory to fix paint only to get into an argument with service guy ( warranty guy ) Was basically told boats can't ba modified the way they came from the factory .

Second issue , I asked many time before boat arrived what Pros Choice prop policy was was far as exchanging props to get boat to run top proformance . Was told many times that trying different props would be NO Problem . So here we are after doing break in period and then WOT and getting 50 MPH at 6300 RPMS I get this same service guy telling me that 50 MPH is all I'm ever going to get and changing props won't make a difference ???? So when I press him on the issue he says Ok well what prop do you want to try ( have a 23 Tempest now ) said I wanted to try a 24 . So then I get well we don't stock 24s , no one ever uses that size and if they ordered one special that I would have to buy it .

Since I got this boat I've done nothing but go round and round with this guy who's official statement is basically " If it came from the factory that way it can't be changed "

2. Member
    I have a 2017 198 with a 2 stroke Pro XS running a 23 Tempest. I'm getting about 5600 RPMs and hitting 58-60 by myself with gear. I just put on a 4" Atlas jackplate on it.

3. Member
    Lorico, I took delivery of my 2021 RT198P a month ago. Like it a lot. I do have a punch list that the dealer is working on.

I have the regular 150 4S with the 1.92:1 gear and my prop is a 22p Tempest Plus. No jack plate. Still tweaking and breaking in but I believe the pitch and engine height Ranger delivered are about right or are at least a good balanced setup. I am in the process of getting my Vesselview Link working so I can get accurate RPM reading, but if the analog tach is right I am presently around 54mph at 5400rpm. Speed is GPS. I have only made a couple WOT runs so far. I suspect after tweaking and testing... and maybe balancing and blueprinting the prop... I will end up with 1-2 more mph at something closer to my 5800rpm redline.

I assume you have the Pro XS 150? Unless you are much heavier than my setup, like having power poles, hydraulic jack plate, 3 TM batteries, 36v TM, etc, that I do not have then you have lots more speed to find.

And yes, Pros Choice should absolutely work with you on propping for best setup... especially if they said they would.

You might consider trying to salvage that service relationship best you can. Pros Choice has a great reputation. Get them on your side best you can.

While I feel your pain on the paint and all of us including me want their boats the way we want them... but got to be honest... I would not expect Ranger to be liable under warranty for the paint. The stumps are going to scratch the paint eventually. I have ended up with scratched decals and paint on every aged boat I have owned.

Best of luck on you RT198P.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Bravo 1 FS
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

4. Member
    IMG_20210502_133940.jpgHave a ten foot section of paint that was pulled off by removing decal before boat ever made it to water ... Ok sure I realize regular use I will get scuffs and scratches but I excepted a paint job that would adhere to boat not decal like the last ranger aluminum I owned

Was the last one camo??
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Was the last one camo??
    yes camo 188

Paint job on it was all but bullet proof couldnt ask for better durability

IMG_20210504_144706.jpg

7. Member
    Buddy, I gotta tell you.....I cannot blame them for the paint issue. That is a risk you took when you decided to remove the decal. Sometimes paint takes time to cure - like days or weeks. I understand your pain, but I would have never messed with that.

If the dealer does not have the prop you want, I can understand them not buying one for you to experiment with - then they might be stuck with it if you don't like it.

If they were not handling some true warranty item properly, that's one thing, but I don't see these issues as warranty.

Regarding the prop, I would keep polling people with the same setup and decide where to go from there. That is a good boat/motor combo. It might not be running perfectly right now but go fishing and enjoy it.....decide on the prop as time goes by and look for a used one.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I wouldn't consider pulling off a decal for at least 3 months after taking delivery. As mentioned, paint takes time to fully cure. Same reason you are instructed to not wax a car when getting it back from the body shop. Still sucks that it happened to you.
    Last edited by tcesni; 05-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.

You can see how loaded my boat is with 4 Batteries, Two Talons, Jack Plate, and a 36v Trolling Motor. Overall, the 23P has been the best all around prop I have used. 24P gave me a little more top end, but was much slower out of the hole.
    Today, on the ICW, and 10 knots winds, by myself and about 2/3 tank of gas, I was getting 54.7 out of my 198P with the 23P Tempest.
    I would expect, if you boat is NOT loaded like my boat, a 24P should serve you well and you should be hitting close to 60mph.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    50mph at 6300rpm? Doesn't sound remotely right. Tach is off or you're way over trimming.

11. Member
    Guess I'm old school , expected a 40 k boat to have paint that would adhere to boat better then decal . Guess I'll have to wait 3 months to take it to the car wash and pray the power sprayer doesn't take the rest off .... Not like I payed an extra 500 for camo paint job

Just wondering, did you use a heat gun to soften the adhesive before removing the decals?
    It looks like the primer held fine.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Member
    Sorry bud but I gotta agree with these guys. Understand that you're ticked about it but the paint issue is one you created. Maybe your last boat had time to cure and this one didn't? It sucks for sure and I'm all about holding companies liable but not in this case. Also feel that either ur tack is off or some other issues. My triton 18tx hits close to 50 with the 115 4 stroke. Good luck !

14. Member
    Dealer called this afternoon said they found a 24 Tempest so I went by and exchanged my 23 so that issue is working out just wish I didn't have to get in a damn argument to get this resolved

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Just wondering, did you use a heat gun to soften the adhesive before removing the decals?
    It looks like the primer held fine.
    Hair dryer

16. Member
    Why do they add decals to a camo boat? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Why do they add decals to a camo boat? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    Truly doesn't make sense but isn't the purpose of buying a boat so that you can advertise for the manufacturer? Tin boats have always been the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorico View Post
    IMG_20210502_133940.jpgHave a ten foot section of paint that was pulled off by removing decal before boat ever made it to water ... Ok sure I realize regular use I will get scuffs and scratches but I excepted a paint job that would adhere to boat not decal like the last ranger aluminum I owned
    I looks like your paint is fine. That looks like Glue residue left behind. Get some goo gone and see if it removes the glue.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    I agree with Joe. Good eye. You can see the paint showing through the residue
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

20. Member
    I agree 100%....Glue..... Should be reasonably easy to remove.

Screenshot_20210512-182216~2.png
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 05-16-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast