Question After 3 good years..... yesterday the Merc 150 4 stroke would only idle

SN 2B544452
    We were approximately 10 miles from a remote launch ramp. We called Tow Boat ( I am a member) and they towed us back to ramp. Tow speed was 9.1 mph and took an hour and about 20 minutes. What happened? There is a small silver rod that connects throttle adjustment to the mechanism that dispenses fuel to fuel rail. The bottom part of rod turns 90 degrees and connects to throttle adjustment via bushing 23-93248. The rod had come out of bushing. No connection no throttle. This morning the Mercury mechanic installed a new bushing ( hard to get to place) and all good. The mechanic theorize that for last 3 years rod had only been partially inserted. He thought rod could have went full in the bushing and I would have never known there was a problem but instead it pop out leaving me without throttle. Somebody on the assembly line didn't make sure of their work and insure rod was seated properly. Could have been worse! Ever experience this Don or anyone?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've replaced a few of those over the years- I'd say it's unlikely that it wasn't inserted when it was built and made it since March of 2018 (when built) to now without coming loose.

More likely something bound up, or the plastic retainer simply deteriorated. Your tech did the right thing by replacing it.

Good example of why a simple visual inspection can often resolve items that might seem major (you might have noted this and snapped the rod back in at least temporarily).

Glad it was a simple, easy fix!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor