Do I need a wedge for my new (to me) Ultrex?

I am definitely old school. Somebody please educate me on trolling motor wedges. I never knew there was such a thing until recently. A friend is going to a new Ghost. I bought his almost new Ultrex. Pros and cons of a wedge? I have a 2001 Triton TR-21.

2. Member
    Depends on how ur TM mount and sits on your boat ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

3. Member
    Whats the purpose of the wedge? To level the motor?
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Podcast View Post
    Whats the purpose of the wedge? To level the motor?
    Triton boats, and a few others, have a downward shape to the gunwale where the trolling mtr mounts. 2003 and earlier have a 2.5 degree and 2004 and up have a 5 degree bend downward. This causes the trolling mtr chaft to set at a bit of an aft angle. Not a big deal unless you depend on your shaft being straight up and down so your sonar transducer is shooting straight down and not at a bit of an rearward angle which gives you a sonar picture facing more aft than forward. If you depend on your sonar to give you accurate view of what is straight under the TM while vertically fishing, it is very important. If you just chunk and wind going straight down the bank, it really doesn't matter. The wedges position the motor to be perfectly level with the surface of the water which allows the shaft to be straight up and down.

5. Member
    I see Ashmore Marine Products makes these and looks to be a quality piece, but they are quite expensive. Is there any other manufacturers or alternatives? Could a 1” thick piece of Starboard be made into a wedge shape somehow?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Triton boats, and a few others, have a downward shape to the gunwale where the trolling mtr mounts. 2003 and earlier have a 2.5 degree and 2004 and up have a 5 degree bend downward. This causes the trolling mtr chaft to set at a bit of an aft angle. Not a big deal unless you depend on your shaft being straight up and down so your sonar transducer is shooting straight down and not at a bit of an rearward angle which gives you a sonar picture facing more aft than forward. If you depend on your sonar to give you accurate view of what is straight under the TM while vertically fishing, it is very important. If you just chunk and wind going straight down the bank, it really doesn't matter. The wedges position the motor to be perfectly level with the surface of the water which allows the shaft to be straight up and down.
    Thanks. I understand better now. That would mean I have a 2.5 degree bow. I can see my bait directly below the boat out to at least 30 feet down, I suppose on the 5 degree it's much more severe though.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

SteveS gave the reasoning behind it but I have to wonder if it is really that important. With the 5* angle you are off about 2.6' in 30' of water and half of that with the 2.5* angle. But, the cone angle of the sonar can range from 12* to as much at 60* I think. Some of the newer stuff might be tighter but in a quick google search, I didn't find any. So, if the cone angle is great than the angle of the TM shaft, getting the shaft straight really won't help as much as on thinks. But again, maybe some of the newest stuff is tight enough it matters, but I tend to think this is not as big a deal as some may think.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    SteveS gave the reasoning behind it but I have to wonder if it is really that important. With the 5* angle you are off about 2.6' in 30' of water and half of that with the 2.5* angle. But, the cone angle of the sonar can range from 12* to as much at 60* I think. Some of the newer stuff might be tighter but in a quick google search, I didn't find any. So, if the cone angle is great than the angle of the TM shaft, getting the shaft straight really won't help as much as on thinks. But again, maybe some of the newest stuff is tight enough it matters, but I tend to think this is not as big a deal as some may think.
    Providing your math is correct, a 20 degree transducer cone covers about 10 feet of the bottom and of course that cone gets smaller from the bottom to the transducer. That means at 30' deep the strongest signal is reduced by 25% with it being off by 2.6 feet and your cone is even smaller as you go shallower. I'd rather not give up 25% of my cone while trying to vertically fish. And that's all assuming you don't have a sloppy TM that makes it even worse. Bottom line: What's it worth to you to make it the best. Fun fishin or money fishin.

9. Member
    I mounted an Ultrex on my 2007 without the wedge and have no issues. Fish seem to find my baits just fine.
    Buddy Webster USN(retired)

2007 Triton TR-196 w/200 Optimax
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4
    2003 Jeep Rubicon
    http://www.bbcboards.net/swap-sell/

10. Member
    It may have a 2.5 degree slope at the bow but your boat doesn't set level when your running the trolling motor just look at the water mark on the side of the boat when you put it on the trailer.