Thread: Wrong oil

Wrong oil

I know the requirement for my 2016 etec 200 HO is xd 100. Thats all I ever used. I order 3 gallons at a time and it was taking abnormally long for it to come in this time. I really needed to pre fish today and thought what the heck a little quicksilver would be ok just for today and about half way through my trip the alarm went off and went into idle mode because the oil level was too low. Is it because the quicksilver was so thin and not thick like the xd100? It was still showing 30% on my gauge but it could be off.

2. Member
    No the oil is not the cause. Was your motor in any kind of high tilt, shallow water drive?
    For the record. XD 100 is not a requirement. XD100 is a recommended oil. Alternate oils are XD50 is next best with other oils the meet TCW3 certification. Quicksilver is certified so that is good.

3. Member
    It was but while I was idling through some shallow stuff, but I had been running for a while on plane when the alarm went off and it slowed down. Just drained all the quicksilver out of my reservoir. It was below the sensor but atleast 2 inches of the reservoir had oil In it with the gauge reading 30 percent. Could the cause be my gearcase oil? I noticed the sight glass barely had anything in it

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    No the oil is not the cause. Was your motor in any kind of high tilt, shallow water drive?
    For the record. XD 100 is not a requirement. XD100 is a recommended oil. Alternate oils are XD50 is next best with other oils the meet TCW3 certification. Quicksilver is certified so that is good.
    It was but while I was idling through some shallow stuff, but I had been running for a while on plane when the alarm went off and it slowed down. Just drained all the quicksilver out of my reservoir. It was below the sensor but atleast 2 inches of the reservoir had oil In it with the gauge reading 30 percent. Could the cause be my gearcase oil? I noticed the sight glass barely had anything in it

5. Member
    Not related to gearcase oil as there is no oil level sensor there. As long as you see oil in the reservoir, even at the very bottom of reservoir you are safe. You should add some to for proper level.
    low oil will trigger a low oil alarm only. It will not cause the engine to latch into a speed limiting mode. Something else cause the speed reduction. Overheat, not oil, ???. Any notice on your gauges?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Not related to gearcase oil as there is no oil level sensor there. As long as you see oil in the reservoir, even at the very bottom of reservoir you are safe. You should add some to for proper level.
    low oil will trigger a low oil alarm only. It will not cause the engine to latch into a speed limiting mode. Something else cause the speed reduction. Overheat, not oil, ???. Any notice on your gauges?
    Engine temp was fine. Stayed at 147. The only alarm it threw was oil level critically low. I called a local shop that used to work on evinrude G2s and they said that quicksilver could be the issue because of how thin it is. I myself have no clue. I refilled it with xd 100 after draining and put it on the hose and it didn't throw any alarms, but I won't know until I put it in the water

7. Member
    Possibly the oil sending unit? I'm just spitballing here.

8. Member
    THE ENGINE HAS NO IDEA WHAT OIL YOU USE. OR THE DIFFERENCE.