Calcutta Conquest 400

I've always wanted one of these for A-rig and Glidebait fishing. I finally pulled the trigger and it arrived. Any tips from those that own for setting up?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I have 6 of them.

I keep the brakes at 50% and use the cast cap to adjust the rest of the way.

What do you mean by setting it up?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Just the kind of stuff you mentioned. I've never messed with internal brakes. Any pointers on those?

Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    I have 6 of them.

I keep the brakes at 50% and use the cast cap to adjust the rest of the way.

What do you mean by setting it up?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I always just have half of the brakes out on all my Shimano's and use the cast cap to further fine tune the spool tension with zero issues.

I think there are 8 brakes on the Calcutta Conquest 400A if I remember correctly. Just pop 4 of them out (make sure they are balanced, don't have odd numbers of brakes just 2, 4, 6, 8, etc) and you're good to go. I've tossed baits up to 10oz without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Just the kind of stuff you mentioned. I've never messed with internal brakes. Any pointers on those?

5. Member
    Thank you, I looked in there last night. When you say pop them off, do they completely detach, or just slide a little? Mine will be for a 6 oz. glide, Deps250. Appreciate the help, just don't wanna mess that beauty up.

Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    I always just have half of the brakes out on all my Shimano's and use the cast cap to further fine tune the spool tension with zero issues.

I think there are 8 brakes on the Calcutta Conquest 400A if I remember correctly. Just pop 4 of them out (make sure they are balanced, don't have odd numbers of brakes just 2, 4, 6, 8, etc) and you're good to go. I've tossed baits up to 10oz without any problems.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Thank you, I looked in there last night. When you say pop them off, do they completely detach, or just slide a little? Mine will be for a 6 oz. glide, Deps250. Appreciate the help, just don't wanna mess that beauty up.
    Pop them out to be "in use" on the spool.

You can lock them in/on the spool to where they're not in use/can't move, you can pop them out to be "in use" on the spool to where they'll move out when the spool rotates, or you can completely take them off of the spool.