Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Most desirable boat to restore?????

If you can't buy new or even a boat that is 10 years old and you wanted to restore a boat or freshen it up, what would it be? Maybe you just want to restore and older boat because it is THE BOAT for you.

lets say at least 10 years old to start.

There are things to consider like:
    1. Wood in the transom or stringers
    2. Deck layout and storage
    3. Manufactures parts availability

What is yours?

Mine would be a late 90s early 2000s model 203 or 202 Champion. I love the old boats as I am sure many do but it still misses a few wants like a wider front deck. So maybe a Legend/Viper/Cobra.

2. Member
    Had a 98 203 champion loved the boat ( first one I didn't have to rebuild) I'd say a Stratos ASX or a OG procraft super pro both were fast hulls.

3. Member
    What's your "mission?" Mine was primarily fishing creeks and shallow backwaters....lakes FILLED with tens of thousands of stumps.

I decided to find and completely restore a tournament class aluminum boat. Began looking for a Tracker Tournament V18 or a Fisher Pro Hawk 180. I found a 180, bought it, and am now completing a 1 year total rebuild......25 circuits rewired/wired....carpet....paint, etc. I also bought a solid used dual axle and am finishing it up right now. It's a pain in the backside at times, but, very rewarding.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 05-24-2021 at 10:34 AM.

I would like to find a Ranger 461VS from the late 90's and restore it. I owned one for several years and it was a great boat.

5. Member
    "CHAMPION" '94-'97 The one boat that will never be manufactured again......but absolutely should be!

God Bless Bass Cat for their efforts with the Hybrid.

6. mikesxpress
    Shadow tunnel Hull.

7. Member
    Well, doing it right now as a father/son operation. We were looking for all aluminum (thinking long term reliability in the hull and deck) and we bot like the Xpress layout. So we found 2001 Xpress X19 that I made a trek half way across the country for LOL. I will say I did get a "good" deal on it. Carpet was shot, wiring iffy at best, but was functional. Original OB was also functional, but needed work and not at max recommended HP. So, to date, Replaced trailer hubs, tires, winch strap and added bunk slides. Sold older motor found a 1999, 200 Yami (a slight project in and of itself). Prop juggling :), replaced trolling motor, installed recessed tray, reworked dash panel, replaced gauges, replaced shifter, installed hot foot, reworked hydraulic JP, added JP spacer, worked on pad area. Finally getting toward the finish line with the carpet install and rewiring... Yes it gets old at times, but, the end result is something the kiddo and I can share for a long time.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    Well, doing it right now as a father/son operation. We were looking for all aluminum (thinking long term reliability in the hull and deck) and we bot like the Xpress layout. So we found 2001 Xpress X19 that I made a trek half way across the country for LOL. I will say I did get a "good" deal on it. Carpet was shot, wiring iffy at best, but was functional. Original OB was also functional, but needed work and not at max recommended HP. So, to date, Replaced trailer hubs, tires, winch strap and added bunk slides. Sold older motor found a 1999, 200 Yami (a slight project in and of itself). Prop juggling :), replaced trolling motor, installed recessed tray, reworked dash panel, replaced gauges, replaced shifter, installed hot foot, reworked hydraulic JP, added JP spacer, worked on pad area. Finally getting toward the finish line with the carpet install and rewiring... Yes it gets old at times, but, the end result is something the kiddo and I can share for a long time.
    Good on ya'! My story is very, very, similar....😉👍

9. Member
    Champion 210 are well sought after.

10. Member
    Champion 20 plus footer, 202,203,206,210,223. any 20 foot champ.
    Ranger 522 or Ranger 522D, any year that does not have those stupid rails with the remote lid release latches.
    early 2000's Ranger 518 Comanche.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    "CHAMPION" '94-'97 The one boat that will never be manufactured again......but absolutely should be!

God Bless Bass Cat for their efforts with the Hybrid.
    I hear charger is working to make a 203 clone. They already have the 198 and 210 in production.
    Last edited by Aceman81; 05-10-2021 at 08:09 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Shadow tunnel Hull.
    I knew a guy with one of these. Might have been called a Laser, idk... But he loved his. Had a worked merc on it and was quick with great carving ability.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Good on ya'! My story is very, very, similar....
    I have a Triton 186V mag currently and I am about to start working to hull on it to remove the small dents and "hook" that may be there. That's my only issue with aluminum, it's the flex in the material that happens over time. But an beer can boat can make a great platform.

Good luck on your project

14. Member
    If I could find a Ranger 205VS that's the one I would restore.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Stratos 201
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

16. Member
    It would defiantly be a bigger Champion for me I believe these boat are defiantly missed by a lot of fishermen.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    It would defiantly be a bigger Champion for me I believe these boat are defiantly missed by a lot of fishermen.
    I think it is not just the boat but a single company you could go to for service. Its a clique thing. Hated seeing Champion go down. But there are a few companies out there making clones that may be an improvement on the original design. But I would still like an original.

18. Member
    I am doing a Ranger 521VX right now.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpo17 View Post
    I am doing a Ranger 521VX right now.
    Nice

20. Member
    Just finishing updating my 2000 520 DVS and it's turned out great! Done ALL electronics (4 screens, Garmin Force TM, Livescope), wiring, paneling, lid locks, recessed TM pedal tray, wet-sanded/polished, and last thing I want to do is carpeting. The piano-hinged rivets were a pain, and the dremel was a life-saver on those, but overall could not be more stoked. With it's Merc 225, the boat is ultra-smooth wide-open and I get a lot of compliments from co-anglers on the ride quality.
    Jan-Erik
    2000 Ranger 520DVS, Mercury Optimax 225HP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast