Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I'd like to find a 97 Hydra-Sport 185 loved the one I had

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsurf68 View Post
    Just finishing updating my 2000 520 DVS and it's turned out great! Done ALL electronics (4 screens, Garmin Force TM, Livescope), wiring, paneling, lid locks, recessed TM pedal tray, wet-sanded/polished, and last thing I want to do is carpeting. The piano-hinged rivets were a pain, and the dremel was a life-saver on those, but overall could not be more stoked. With it's Merc 225, the boat is ultra-smooth wide-open and I get a lot of compliments from co-anglers on the ride quality.
    What did you do to your paneling? I have a 2004 521VX I am doing and need some ideas.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman81 View Post
    I think it is not just the boat but a single company you could go to for service. Its a clique thing. Hated seeing Champion go down. But there are a few companies out there making clones that may be an improvement on the original design. But I would still like an original.
    I defiantly agree with you I believe if a company (mom and pop type) could make them again and had great customer service with people that actually answered the phone and could answer basic questions would be a prosperous company.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    I defiantly agree with you I believe if a company (mom and pop type) could make them again and had great customer service with people that actually answered the phone and could answer basic questions would be a prosperous company.

Charger is building the 210 and Kelly Power is working for them. He was with Champion back when they were in Mt Home arkansas . From what i have heard he will do everything he can to take care of any questions you may have. Charger is also a very stable company. But, i do see some things i don't like that they have done with the boats but they are probably all personal dislikes.

5. Member
    Astro for me anyone from the early 90's and up.

6. Member
    I actually had a John Story Hawk DC 21 restored once. Had the trailer completely gone through. New brakes , bearings, tires and wheels and a navy blue paint job with red stripes.
    The boat started with a new composite transom, a step up and a day box cut in the front like the legend. In addition the top cap was removed and old foam was taken out and replaced. Lots of extras added like lights in every box, new pop up cleats, LED running lights and all new pumps. The gel coat was repaired and buffed. New carpet, I remember fishing my first tournament and a guy came up and asked me if this was a brand new Legend. I sold that boat but miss it. It was a great big lake boat. Handled like a Ferrari.

7. Member
    What do you guys think of the champ 201 or it’s brother the 184. Have both for sale in neighborhood. Both would be a project boat and both have 150s on them

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Stratos 201
    this
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I think the local consignment guy has one of these here in Montgomery, TX.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrasport185 View Post
    I'd like to find a 97 Hydra-Sport 185 loved the one I had

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman81 View Post
    I have a Triton 186V mag currently and I am about to start working to hull on it to remove the small dents and "hook" that may be there. That's my only issue with aluminum, it's the flex in the material that happens over time. But an beer can boat can make a great platform.

Good luck on your project
    Just depends on a person's individual primary mission. Mine was stumpy, trashy, and, often times, murky backwaters, etc. However, I also wanted a boat that could, theoretically, handle reasonably "big" water and fish offshore on occasion. Both the Pro Hawk and it's later brother, the V-18, seemed to be the answer for my mission.....pretty deep V hulls, substantial front casting decks, etc. So that's why I narrowed the search to those 2 particular hulls. For MANY they probably wouldn't be the best choice and I totally get it.

The search for THE deal was actually, in a way, kind of fun. Same for the Ultrex, dual axle trailer, engine, etc etc etc. However, it is, was, and has been a loooooooong journey and a lot of hours to get to where I am currently, but, it's been very rewarding. I've learned a lot during this process, both good and bad, but it's sure rewarding to save a bunch of money and set things up 100% the way I wanted them.

Btw, this site and any number of knowledgeable members proved to be extraordinarily helpful!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Stratos 201
    Love Mine
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

12. Banned
    1994 javelin set the water speed record always wanted to rebuild one of those

13. Member
    1996 361V Ranger
    1998 400TE Javelin

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpo17 View Post
    What did you do to your paneling? I have a 2004 521VX I am doing and need some ideas.
    On the bow panel I replaced with heavy-gauge aluminum (painted black to match) and use it solely as a pass-through for the cables to the electronics (which I put on deck-mounted brackets - I was worried at first about giving up any deck space at all, but it's been ideal. I really like how it's turned out.

At the console I was able to contact Ranger and replaced with the factory wood-grain plastic panels (super affordable), so I did passenger console, driver side gauges, and rocker panel. All of them replaced the previous sun-faded panels and turned out really nice. There are a few other after-market options as well (included carbon-fiber replacement panels) that really update the looks too.
    Jan-Erik
    2000 Ranger 520DVS, Mercury Optimax 225HP

For me it would be a late 90’s Hydrasports 198 or 205. I have a sentimental attachment to those though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    If I had to do it over again and it was an older boat I am not sure anything would have done more for me than my 350V Ranger. I wish it had dual consoles but it doesn't and so be it. Other than motor issues the boat has always met my needs. Narrow and for me it's an easy platform for me to fish from. Fancy it ain't and certainly newer boats can leave it in the dust or maybe not in some cases. Depends on my mood and which prop is on it lol... One thing for sure if you want a learning experience in Chime walk it's the one lol....

JW

17. Member
    201 stratos

18. Member
    late 80s - mid 90s Stratos 201
    Not all churches have pews? Very few churches without pews have God.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    201 stratos
    A lot of people love those 201 hulls

20. Banned
    Just bought a 1 owner, 1989 Champion 184DCR with a 2017 Merc 150 ProXS that belonged to a successful tournament fisherman who also worked for a marine parts distributor. Boat has been a workhorse for him and is loaded with top notch equipment from stem to stern. There isn't a part of this boat that doesn't have a name brand piece of equipment on it, much of it high dollar.. I bought it and have started the restoration process by removing every single piece of wiring and am doing a 2021 wiring job for today's electronics. I like the 18ft boats powered by 150's as I've owned 4 other from different manufacturers. This is my first Champion and I have been looking forward to this for a very long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast