USA Engine "cough" diagnosis help needed

Hey fellas,

I have a 2006 Optimax 225 serial# 1B262770.

It's actual a twin engine boat and only one engine has this behavior.

I get a cough of occasional sneeze from the engine at idle. It will die from this and it is worse at startup/ cold temps. Off idle with any throttle and it goes away completely. This is a carryover from last year.

I have done the standard maintenance stuff as it was due for plugs. But, no excessive fouling. Changed fuel filters and water pump all as part on the annual maintenance. I have looked at spark output to verify strong spark and none appear to be dropping out. I am sure I could also have some type of injector issue and I had planned on sending in my rail assemblies but I was too close top fishing season. I will do them this winter.

My thoughts about next possibility are fuel/ compressor pressure or reeds. I have to get a set of gauges to get the fuel pressure worked out, but what are the symptoms of a bad reed? And how far can I pull it apart before I am "committed" for the purposes of inspection? In other words, when am I better off to change them?

If I need reeds, is the factory reed recommended or go with the carbon reeds I have seen mentioned here? Not looking for more performance, but I use this thing 60 miles offshore, so reliability is the primary concern.

Thank you!

Dave

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really need to pull the whole intake/reed/oil tank/oil pump assembly from the front of the engine, and inspect the reed for broken or chipped reeds.

Strongly recommend you plan on installing TDR Fiber Reeds (Rhonda in our Parts Department keeps them, and any gaskets/parts you might need- see her post at the top of the Forum for contact info).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I appreciate it.

I was thinking that would be a necessary step at some point anyway.

4. Member
    One more question, what is a good source for the FSM? I have access to dozens of publications and nothing for Merc.

Thanks again.

Dave

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin2deep4u View Post
    One more question, what is a good source for the FSM?
    European Marine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum. If you drop her an email (with your serial number, and a list of what you would like)- she can set you up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Sounds good.

Thanks again!