Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Power Pole and Battery Pak

Just saw a smallie catching video where the fisherman deploys the PP on the yak to anchor and fight the fish.
    Handy tool especially if you get a big one or are in shallow fast water to stay pegged.
    Anyone have one and care to share some thoughts? Pros and Cons.
    Does the unit have a quick detach so you can take it off for travel in the back of a truck with topper?

2. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I just use a stakeout pole in a scupper in my Hobie, far cheaper and easier to stow. The power pole, in the up position, is just something else to hang up in a tree. I don't use it a lot but it is on board should I need it.

There is a big nut on the bracket that you can turn by hand to easily remove the unit during transport. It’s a good idea too as I’ve heard several stories of folks getting them stolen during brief stops.

They are useful but you also have to understand that you really need to be shallow for it to be functional. The pole is 8’ long it due to the height of the bracket on a kayak you really need to be in less than 6’ of water for it to be useful.

I have PP Micro on my Hobie. I've been using it for a 3 or 4 years and it's easily one of the best things I've ever bought for kayak fishing. If something happened to it I would immediately order another one. Down side is it only works in water about 6.5' or less and it holds you downstream in current or downwind in wind plus it sticks up high if you fish cypress trees and stuff.

I use mine a lot standing up pitching. I can fish with the wind, drop it, make several pitches, raise it, drift a little further, and repeat. They aren't cheap but tere are times it can really make a windy day a whole helluva lot more enjoyable.

5. Member
    Just get an anchor wizard if you fish lakes primarily. Much more versatile for use in deeper water. I actually have two- one on the bow and one on the stern.

6. Member
    I have a pp micro with the wireless battery. I have had issues that are caused by the lithium battery. If you are in deep water and the pole bottoms out on the mount the pole sometimes gets stuck in that deployed position. You have to remove the battery and reinstall to raise the spike. PP knows about the issue and has a solution but I have found that solution is not permanent. Apparently if you use any other battery setup that issue does not happen. Still, I like the PP micro on my kayak and just need to be aware of the short comings going into it.

I have also used an anchor wizard and did not care for it.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

I also just use a stakeout pole.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I have used anchors , stake out poles and now I have a Power Pole. It does stick up so I think about that where I go. If I go on a faster flowing river I just use an anchor. Anywhere els I love the Power Pole.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max