Charging trolling motor batteries when electricity not available?

It may be time to buy a generator, but I wonder if any of the better jump packs have enough capacity to charge a tm battery?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Member
    I don’t think that’s a good idea. If Catfan doesn’t chime in here,send him a PM. He will know.

3. Member
    The better jump packs won't have that level of juice to recharge as they aren't designed to handle that level of AH's.

I would think a generator would be your best bet.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

4. Member
    Depending on your ratio of trolling to motoring you can gain independence from shore power using our Combiner or Trollbridge for 12, 24 or 36 volt trolling motors. If the alternator run time is insufficient, a charging line from the tow vehicle will make up the difference. Any 12 volt charging source connected to the starting battery will charge all the batteries.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Jump packs are just small batteries with chargers and jumper cables built in, so they aren’t even close to having that kind of capacity. Get a generator. These https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...tor-62523.html are hard to beat for performance and price.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Have you considered a solar blanket setup? Not a great idea if you need to charge after a full day on the water if your going out the next day, but it’s an option if you have time to let it charge.

Another thought, maybe a power supply like this https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ply/MXF002-2XC might help you out?

Other than that, I can only think of using a small generator.
    Last edited by Smokeyr67; 05-07-2021 at 08:23 AM.

7. Member
    A small 2200 watt generator (Honda, Generac) is your only functional option to fully charge trolling motor batteries remotely in a cost effective manor. They are so quiet and efficient now days and have really come down in price, plus can be used for multiple applications.
    I think i got my Generac for less than $500 on sale.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    It may be time to buy a generator, but I wonder if any of the better jump packs have enough capacity to charge a tm battery?
    A jump pack of any kind is not going to cut it.

No need to buy a generator. You have one already I would imagine.

Where is your tow vehicle?

As Ann-Marie notes, you can relatively quickly recharge your trolling motor batteries (all batteries for that matter) using the alternator from your tow vehicle. Probably a 100 plus amps available at most any time. Just for the relatively low cost of a circuit breaker and some wire.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    A jump pack of any kind is not going to cut it.

No need to buy a generator. You have one already I would imagine.

Where is your tow vehicle?

As Ann-Marie notes, you can relatively quickly recharge your trolling motor batteries (all batteries for that matter) using the alternator from your tow vehicle. Probably a 100 plus amps available at most any time. Just for the relatively low cost of a circuit breaker and some wire.
    Alternator output is very much dependent on engine RPM. At idle, there’s barely any left over after running the engine and recharging the battery from starting. Even while driving, there isn’t a lot of extra power available because it takes so much to operate the vehicle. Even if you have the available power, it’s going to take 5 or 6 hours minimum to recharge. You can get to 80% fairly quickly, but the last 20% takes just as long. Far less expensive to buy a $500-$600 generator than to run up hours on a vehicle that costs 100 times that much new.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    No, that won't work !! Are you going to go back out the next day ? if so, look into a Troll Bridge. It will charge your TM batteries on the run, plus, if your Start battery gets weak it will "Borrow" power AUTOMATICLY from the TM batteries to start the big motor. I've fished 3 days without ever plugging into shore power just by running on the water all day and making a 20 min run in at the end of the day. They weren't 100%, but I never noticed a lack of power !!

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    I use one of these systems (DC+AC) and it works wonderfully.

http://www.stealth1charging.com/

I do plug up when at home, but I could go multiple days fishing without plugging up so long as I am running throughout some of the days.

He also makes an accessory that allows you to charge via your tow vehicle while the tow vehicle is running.

Great customer service and prices are very fair.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Lowrance HDS Live 12 and HDS Touch 9
    Ultrex 112 lb

12. Member
    No.

13. Member
    Which charger do you have? The safest option will go with at least a 2000w generator, since you can use it for other things.

I personally use a 2000w Champion inverter generator that I bought from Home Depot a couple of years ago for $350+tax. Works great, except when it gets really cold out. For some reason, that 1st start of the day when it's very cold is a bitch. I've given up a couple of times and try again an hr later and it works on the first pull.

If you have a small charger, you might get away with like a 1000w generator. HD and Walmart carries the Sportsman inverters. You can sometimes find the 1000w for about $150.