Mercury 75 ELPTO Questions

I just bought a 2004 Triton 1756 sc with a mercury 75 elpto serial number 0T943305. Is there supposed to be a beep when you turn the key? Mine doesn’t beep. If not, will it beep if there’s a problem? Also, there’s two wires that come out of the motor and they are connected straight to the positive and negative on the starting battery. Should it be like that or should it be hooked to a breaker?
    2008 Camo Xpress H18 with 2021 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4S Serial # 3B021969

2. Member
    Can't answer your first question except to say I think it should, as to the second, are the two wires from the engine the + & - cables or something else?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Yes they are the + and - cables coming out of the motor. They were hooked directly to the battery, no fuse or breaker. Didn’t know if it should be that way?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The battery cables do indeed connect directly to the battery.

This engine series does not have a "test beep", but should sound a warning horn for overheat or low oil level.

The horn can be tested by providing a GROUND to the tan w/blue stripe wire (inside the cowling) with the key on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks! I currently have no gauges either. What all would be involved installing a tachometer? Does it just plug in somewhere?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine wiring harness should have a connector that permits a Instrument Harness to be installed (that harness has the pertinent circuits for most traditional analog gauges).

Which harness depends on which control and harness is in your boat (and whether or not the instrument harness plug can be located). A picture of the keyswitch harness (under dash) or the control (if key is mounted in the control) is helpful.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Here’s some pictures! Would this be the plug?
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Appears to be... can't see the wire colors or the inside of the plug, but I believe that's what you're looking for.

Should be able to get you a plug-in harness for that connector (Sherm @ Sherm's Marine or we can assist through the Parts Departments).

I took it out for the first time yesterday. When I tried the fast idle lever it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. It also seems to be idling high when in neutral. I was also having problems getting it into neutral, it wouldn’t lock in place. I took the lever off today and found a broken plastic piece that the lever locks into when in neutral. Is this a part that I could order?
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    yes
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Anybody know the part number?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    16899T is the "HOLDER- Neutral Lock".

Looks like the control handle was forced out of neutral (or through neutral), breaking the Holder.

Harness you need would be Part# 86396A8 (4') or 86396A24 (13')... Tach harness plugs into the connector you showed earlier on in your post.

Thank you!

Is there a certain tachometer that I need to buy? I ordered one but just realized it only reads to 5k. It says 5250 max rpm on motor. Is there a smaller size tach that will work, instead of the 3” size?

15. Member
    not that in know of you need a 6k tach
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    If you’re going to open up the remote to replace the neutral lock I’ve got some suggestions based on my experience with them: 1) take photos as you disassemble 2) replace the neutral safety switch #17277T as they fail frequently. 3) Clean with Gunk or similar and grease throttle and shift rods and other wear points.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe that particular part is on the outside of the control box.

Thanks
    Last edited by bassfreaks; 05-27-2021 at 04:58 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Believe that particular part is on the outside of the control box.
    +1