Thread: Transducer

Transducer

Will a GT 54 transducer work on a 1222 unit

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    From the Garmin website: "Added partial support for Garmin GT54UHD transducers, with 1 MHz SideVu disabled".......

It will work but you dont get UHD usage. If you want UHD images, you would need to get the GCV10/GT34 or GT36. Of course a separate 2d ducer if you want 2d sonar.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Reason I'm asking a friend recently purchased 2 1222 units and livescope from a company that I think is a board sponsor. I won't mention their name at this time. he weas having trouble finding a ultrex TM so I told him to call this place I had read about on here. He traveled several hundred miles and spent several thousand dollars only to have his console unit stop working the first time he restore default settings. He was then told that they installed a GT 56 transducer that was not compatable with his unit and tricked his unit so it would work. Now he is being told he has to bring the boat back to them to get it working again.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yeah, GT56 wont work with it......i would think the seller/installer would know what works and dont work with units.

5. Member
    No trick. The GT56 is not auto detect. Most of Garmin's transducers are auto detect. You have to manually go in and choose GT56 as the transducer. When you reset defaults it looses that so it has to be manually selected again.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Winchester could you walk me through steps to do this.

7. Member
    Is the GT54 a auto detect transducer?

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yes.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek Ranger View Post
    Winchester could you walk me through steps to do this.
    I'll try.
    From the Home screen select Sonar, then Traditional
    Press Menu->Sonar Setup
    Note if you see a "Source" option. If you do make sure it is "Built-in" or "This Unit"
    While under Sonar Setup select Installation, then Transducer Model
    Scroll through the transducers listed until you find GT56
    Highlight and Select it.
    Then back out.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Leonard, why is the GT56 not auto detect? Seems odd when most the others are. Also i'm confused on why they need to manually select the GT56 if it does not work with that unit.
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 05-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.

11. Member
    Thanks guys, they told him they didn't have a GT52 transducer and couldn't find one. they must not have had a GT54 either but they should have explained what they did. He said they acted too busy to spend time with that. I would think if a guy had spent 10,000 dollars you could spend a little time with him I bet John Jones wouldn't approve of this.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I agree.....well he can sell the GT56 and buy the GT54 and have money left over.....there are several on the for sale page here.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1119393

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1124711

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1124720

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Leonard, why is the GT56 not auto detect? Seems odd when most the others are. Also i'm confused on why they need to manually select the GT56 if it does not work with that unit.

I don't know if it will work with his unit. It possibly could, like some of the non UHD echomaps on 455 kHz but as you know the UHD frequency will only work on UHD equipped units regardless of whether they are GPSMAP or echomap. I don't know if the selection will show up on the menu. It may not be like the GT54 where you could use it on 455. I don't have a unit like this to test it on. I do know that for the UHD to work right the GT56 must be selected.

Now as to why the transducer auto id doesn't work, I think that comes under my NDA regarding technical info. But it is something a person could probably figure out just thinking about it.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No problem....just wondering....hopefully the friend can get this ironed out.....

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek Ranger View Post
    Thanks guys, they told him they didn't have a GT52 transducer and couldn't find one. they must not have had a GT54 either but they should have explained what they did. He said they acted too busy to spend time with that. I would think if a guy had spent 10,000 dollars you could spend a little time with him I bet John Jones wouldn't approve of this.
    You really need to see the tag on that transducer and see if it is a GT56 or what. It's possible it would work somewhat if manually set to a different transducer setting, but mismatching watts, impedance, etc is not good for the transducer or the unit. I would guess that if it is a GT56 that they put the settings on GT52 or GT54. Otherwise the 2d will be a disaster. I would say this. If there is not a transducer setting in the menu for the transducer you are trying to connect.....don't do it. There is a reason a warning comes up on screen when you are doing this kind of thing. Of course, if Todd said it would be okay, I'd defer.