Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Remember when vehicles ran with gas and a carburetor and a simple battery.

aww points ignition system. The good ole days

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Daleo View Post
    New Ford trucks are stored everywhere around here. KY Motor Speedway is full of them. Even here in Shelbyville they have hundreds sitting on some open ;and fenced in.
    That is exactly what the article said.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    aww points ignition system. The good ole days
    I remember the 1970's when you couldn't get the SOB to shut down after you turned the key off. They'd just keep dieseling.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Not sure if anyone watches 60 minutes on Sunday nights, interesting story last weekend on this topic. Found it scary that Intel, one of the US last chip producers is hesitant to jump back into this industry because they’re afraid it would upset relations with their Asian partners they do business with. I know it’s just business and making money, but if the last year hasn’t opened some eyes of the hole we’re digging.....
    Sad. But God forbid What if we need manufacturers for a war?

Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    I remember the 1970's when you couldn't get the SOB to shut down after you turned the key off. They'd just keep dieseling.
    Sure you could. Just put it in 3rd and dump the clutch
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    With all the lots and fields full, what will they do with next years model this coming fall. I bet they wont learn a thing giving China all our industries. They didn't sell them anything, they gave it to them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    yep

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    Sure you could. Just put it in 3rd and dump the clutch
    I actually did that more times than I can count! That was a 1976 C-10 Chevy with the in-line six and "three on the tree". The only time it had power steering was when you loaded about 3/4 ton of gravel in the bed!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

9. Member
    I remember “death of common sense”. It was no joke. Can’t we make chips or whatever we need here?

10. Member
    My son just got done building (2) 20 acre gravel parking lots for the GM plant in Wentzville, MO. Several other lots around the area completely packed full of colorados and full size vans.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy11 View Post
    I remember “death of common sense”. It was no joke. Can’t we make chips or whatever we need here?
    Basically no, we have given up the technology and currently don’t have the manufacturing abilities to even produce the chips with the capabilities of our Asian competition. Read about the “silicon shield” of Taiwan.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy11 View Post
    It's definitely not that simple. Asia has the machinery and the resources to build the chips. We can't find employees to run the cash register at McDonalds.

To build anything you have to have resources. Raw materials. That's where we have completely lost this war with China. You have to assemble metals and minerals required to make the chips out of and we have over the years gave up our claims, rights, and interests in such.

It would take us years to build up the capability to manufacture chips on our own.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    An we thought we were vulnerable because we were buying masks from China instead of making them here.

I don't see why the auto makers don't start their own chip production in the good old U.S.A. rather than depend on foreigners. Doesn't make sense if they are that critical for production.

14. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I don't see why the auto makers don't start their own chip production in the good old U.S.A. rather than depend on foreigners. Doesn't make sense if they are that critical for production.
    Cause we can't make them as well as they do

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    And could sit in the engine bay to set valves.
    Because you had to every month plus plugs , points and plug wires .

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    We can't find employees to run the cash register at McDonalds.
    Sure we can; when we don’t pay them more to stay at home and not work. But, that's a whole other topic. The chip shortage shows just how vulnerable we are and how dependent we are on other countries. I also wonder if we could even realistically compete with what employees cost here per hour in the USA vs. some other countries paying pennies a day. I’m guessing there will be some great deals once the chips are in the vehicles.

17. Member
    China is on their way to owning the US and wont fire a shot to do it. Half the folks in the US are too lazy or stupid to care. China now makes over half the world’s supply of steel. And one segment of our population is playing right into their hands.

18. Member

Screwed is the word.

What large manufactures would we convert to a war effort?

Very few left.

Seems I recall a guy making a ruckus about aluminum and steel production in the US not too long ago and caught crap for it.

I think we are SOL on US lead smelters for batteries and such, so I guess we can just buy those products from overseas also.

19. Member
    Yeah, the great American that wanted to fix all this tweeted mean and offensive words so he is long gone, I say the US now gets what it deserves.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    compete with what employees cost here per hour in the USA vs. some other countries paying pennies a day.
    Surely we would not support Any County not paying a living wage at least comparable to the $15.00 per hour here correct?

Nevermind we need our cheap chips to run our trucks!!!! We care when it's convenient only!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast