Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

250 ProXS Fourstroke - Anyone Completely Satisfied?

It seems like they are still working the bugs out. At least from the post that I see here. But I guess this is where you come to talk out issues and look for advise. Is anyone or do you know anyone who has put a bunch of hours on these motors and not had issues. Completely satisfied? I'm looking into re-powering and being quoted a 20 week delivery. Just trying to decide if it's worth the wait and if I might be fortunate to end up with a good one that's not in and out the shop being repaired. I've always been a Merc man and my current ProXs Opti has been a great motor other than one compressor failure and two coils.
    Last edited by june-bug; 05-10-2021 at 02:44 PM.

2. Member
    I LOVE mine! Would never go back to an Opti and I liked the one I had. There's nothing about my 4 stroke I don't like.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Member
    Same here I love mine. 250 pro xs four stroke.
    Ran a 250 opti with way to many issues.

I have 60 hours on my 225 since December. The only “issue” has been a torn water pump gasket.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Mine is 3 years old at the end of the month and I have nothing but praise for the motor. I did have to have the throttle cable adjusted after about 60 hours and the recalls for the shift actuator and a wiring harness repositioning. My motor was one of the very early motors that Ranger rigged.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

6. Member
    On my 2nd season, very satisfied so far. Wouldn't go back to an opti if I could.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Just had the shift actuator replaced, but love this motor so far.

8. Member
    Not a 250 but I have the 300R and have had zero problems that I didn't cause. Had an impact with a submersed object that tore a few things up. 120 hours and 1 year old.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

9. Member
    I repowered when they first come out, I am at 265 hours now in 2 years and it has been flawless. They only work that I have had done to it besides servicing was the recall work for a couple things. Once running one you will never want to run anything else

These comments are encouraging. I really do appreciate the feedback!

11. Member
    300R here as well, repowered from a 225 EFI. I absolutely love this motor.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

Not the XS but a 250R-- the only difference is LU and solid mounts.
    I've had a lot of Mercs over the years some good some not so good.. With 225 hrs I'd have to say this is the best one yet.

13. Member
    Had my first 250 for a little over 2 years. 137 hours on it. Only had those few recalls done. Motor was great. Currently breaking in my second 250. Love the motor. You’ll be happy with it.
    -Rich Craft
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite / Mercury Pro XS 250 Ser # 3B013525

I ran Yamaha 250 SHO's from 2010 untill 2021 and now have a 250 4 stroke Merc. So far have been impressed. Both motors have good low end torque but the Yamaha seemed to have stronger midrange with the Merc having better gas mileage and runs best on 87 while the Yamaha needed 91 to perform at it's best. Time will tell on the Merc. but so far so good.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by june-bug View Post
    These comments are encouraging. I really do appreciate the feedback!
    June-bug: Keep in mind that a lot of work goes into keeping the Forums here on BBC on-track with accurate, helpful and useful info.

You can google-search just about any topic that has to do with a Mercury engine, and you'll find the BBC Mercury engine forums in the mix quite readily.

Consequently, this has become the "go-to" place when folks have a problem or are looking for help. You don't read about the hundreds of thousands that are out on the water enjoying their day.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    June-bug: Keep in mind that a lot of work goes into keeping the Forums here on BBC on-track with accurate, helpful and useful info.

You can google-search just about any topic that has to do with a Mercury engine, and you'll find the BBC Mercury engine forums in the mix quite readily.

Consequently, this has become the "go-to" place when folks have a problem or are looking for help. You don't read about the hundreds of thousands that are out on the water enjoying their day.
    Yes sir that was pretty much what I was thinking. No ones here posting much about how great their engine is running lol.

17. Member
    I absolutely love mine. Runs like a dream and hasn't had an issue other than a 4 beep alarm that was a bad throttle sensor. Didn't affect the way it ran at all, just threw an alarm. Fixed the week after I bought it and not a hitch since. Absolutely incredible motor to me. Of course my last boat was a 1960 14' alumacraft with a 2015 20hp merc 4 stroke, so it was a little bit of a step up haha.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

18. Member
    Repowered my Legend V20 a year ago(now have 180hrs with zero issues)... totally changed the way this boat drives. Once I found the correct prop for my setup, hole shot is insane and top end has improved. Mercury hit it out of the park with this motor!
    2015 Legend V20
    2020 Mercury 250Pro XS 4stroke
    14" Bobs Hydraulic Jackplate
    Lowrance Live 12" & Hummingbird Helix 12" Mega (Console)
    Lowrance Live 12" & Humming bird Helix 12" Mega w/ Mega 360 (Bow)
    Bass Boat Technologies Mounts
    25P Bravo 1 FS
    8ft Blade Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by fearme24 View Post
    Repowered my Legend V20 a year ago(now have 180hrs with zero issues)... totally changed the way this boat drives. Once I found the correct prop for my setup, hole shot is insane and top end has improved. Mercury hit it out of the park with this motor!
    That's awesome man. Thanks for the reply!

I have 190 hours on mine and love it!! I did have a the oil seal recall and mine was leaking. Dealer fixed and no issues. Water pump gasket blew at 140 hours but It's very easy to replace yourself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast