Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR
    I just sold my second boat with the four stroke on the back and they are awesome. Will make you smile every single time you start it!

2. Member
    Repowered 3 years ago. Would never in a million years go back to a 2 stroke. 200 hours and absolutely love this motor! Makes me smile EVERY time i fire up!

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I am so far with my second 250 pro xs 4 stroke.

4. mikesxpress
    Boat #13. My 250 V8 repower coming from a 250 Opti will have 3 years on it in July.

It runs my Z21 Intracoastal a little faster and drinks more fuel than the 2 stroke. I don't have to put the DFI oil in any more is the biggest plus up! And I have the extended platinum service plan thru 2026. Is it earth shattering performance over the 2 stroke? No it isn't. We're all going to end up with a 4 stroke so it might as well be this one.

Just for information. Still not apples to apples BUT----- The 250R is the same motor as the new 250 <Edit- ProXS> just a different LU and solid motor mounts.
    The Allison camp is seeing an INCREASE in performance.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-10-2021 at 02:22 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carp_mstr View Post
    I ran Yamaha 250 SHO's from 2010 untill 2021 and now have a 250 4 stroke Merc. So far have been impressed. Both motors have good low end torque but the Yamaha seemed to have stronger midrange with the Merc having better gas mileage and runs best on 87 while the Yamaha needed 91 to perform at it's best. Time will tell on the Merc. but so far so good.
    I have this same experience. My Yamaha SHO was a monster out of the hole through midrange. The Mercury is faster on top. Love running 87 octane and the fuel mileage. Playing with props to help with the holeshot, especially with full livewell.

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    I have this same experience. My Yamaha SHO was a monster out of the hole through midrange. The Mercury is faster on top. Love running 87 octane and the fuel mileage. Playing with props to help with the holeshot, especially with full livewell.
    I've just have 4 hours on my new 250 Pro XS, and I have owned 4 SHOs, but I'd agree with the statement on the bottom end torque so far being better with the SHO. As far as top end, I'm not sure this Merc is faster than the SHOs either but its a different rig so its not apples to apples.

Broken drive shaft recently on my 2020 250 Pro Xs. Mercury has approved sending a new lower unit. However, they will not specify ANY TIME FRAME of delivery. I have been without my boat for two weeks now and an unknown additional amount of time. During the best fishing time of the year to boot. And of course, the longer they wait the busier my dealer will be. I liked the motor a lot for the short amount of time it actually worked.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

Well I appreciate all of the feedback. I went ahead and bit the bullet and put a down payment on a 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke this morning. Gonna be a long wait with the 20 week delivery of engine but that just how it goes sometimes!
    Last edited by june-bug; 05-10-2021 at 02:42 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Just for information. Still not apples to apples BUT----- The 250R is the same motor as the new 250XS just a different LU and solid motor mounts.
    The Allison camp is seeing an INCREASE in performance.
    Explain please. There is a new 250XS? I thought 2 stroke production ceased more than 3 years ago.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Explain please. There is a new 250XS? I thought 2 stroke production ceased more than 3 years ago.
    No... he just shortened his answer (he meant 250 ProXS 4-stroke). We all have to keep reminding ourselves to use the correct nomenclature since there are so many different models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No... he just shortened his answer (he meant 250 ProXS 4-stroke). We all have to keep reminding ourselves to use the correct nomenclature since there are so many different models.
    That's right Don sorry about that. I went back and edited my last comment and would edit the title of thread but it doesn't seem to be possible. Sorry for the confusion I caused if there is any.

13. Member
    agree with the positive comments - 250hrs on mine (one of the first available) and she's bad...same two issues everyone else (oil leak on shaft & blew water pump gasket, otherwise good to go).

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by june-bug View Post
    ...and would edit the title of thread but it doesn't seem to be possible.
    I took care of that for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    So is the 250 Pro XS the same power head as the 250R?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In general, yes. Given that there are literally at least ninety-two unique 250 Fourstroke models in the lineup, questions like this one can easily provide misleading information.

The first powerhead I've owned from the racing division that "in general" had no advantage over it's non racing counterpart. Unlike the 300 Pro XS (4 stroke) and the 300 R (4 stroke) which has several advantages and a higher RPM limit.

18. Member
    I have 34 hours on my 250 and the trim seal blew. They instructed my dealer to replace the entire trim assembly but They are on back order until June. Not impressed with the customer service. I had to go through the dealer to discuss this issue and not Mercury. It will be at least a month and a half that I will be off the water.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glove2u View Post
    I have 34 hours on my 250 and the trim seal blew. They instructed my dealer to replace the entire trim assembly but They are on back order until June. Not impressed with the customer service. I had to go through the dealer to discuss this issue and not Mercury. It will be at least a month and a half that I will be off the water.
    Having to work with a dealer (who can physically touch, inspect and diagnose problems with your engine) is the normal procedure for any failure or warranty problem. The folks in Fond du Lac rely on their dealer network.

Feel your pain with back-ordered parts. Despite ramping up production schedules, demand has exceeded production in most cases.

20. Member
    I love my 250Pro XS. Repowered my 07 Ranger 521vx at the beginning of last season and I’m approaching 100hrs without a single hiccup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast