Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator

Am I thinking about this right? Motor height and jackplate question

Hey guys, I have a nitro z8 with a optimax 225 on it. It also has a hydraulic jack plate. The motor is mounted on the middle of the 5 bolt holes onto the jackplate. When going at Close to or WOT, anything above the 3 setting on my hydraulic jackplate (3-6) I get a low water pressure alarm. So i pretty much only run it on the 1 setting. I also have noticed that it seems like quite a bit of the boat is still in the water even at my highest speed. I never have a chine walk or anything close to it at any point in time and my max speed is about 63 full tourney load.

Would lowering the motor by moving it up to the highest bolt on the motor bracket allow me to drop the motor further in the water ( by about 1.5 inches), allowing me to use a greater range of the jackplate settings and also providing more lift and having less of the boat in the water at the 1 setting?? I get my best speed and best ride currently at the 1 setting. As you increase from 1-3 the wheel becomes harder to turn and the boat slows down.

Just want to make sure I am thinking about this right before going ahead with moving it up in the bolt holes.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

I am unaware of what the settings on the Hydro JP mean but performance concept is the same for all boats.
    1. Not all boats will run the same with the same setup
    2. Not all props are equal. Each one will be inconsistent even straight from the factory. Some carry a load and get better lift than others. 3 blades will be faster than 4 blades (typically) 4 blades will handle better.
    3. As you raise a motor at WOT, RPMs go up, and water pressure will go down (I do not run with WP lower than 15 although I think 12 is still safe but cutting close)
    4. Best thing about a hydro JP is the ability to raise the motor in skinnier water to get on plain and to dial in easier on the run
    5. All setups start with a prop to pad measurement, WOT RPMs, Water pressure reading, speed, and prop pitch
    6. The idea is to find the prop to pad measurement where at WOT you max your RPMs with sufficient Water pressure, while maintaining good boat lift and eliminating as much prop slip as possible...
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

3. Member
    I lowered my motor a few years ago on a Ranger I had. For similar reasons, it did help. The thing you will need to be careful about is when you put the motor down (top holes) you can damage the hydraulic steering by trimming up to far. So when you trailer be sure JP is at 2 or higher before trimming up to put motor totes on.
    Rad Brewer