Thread: Gel Coat Paint

Gel Coat Paint

OMG....so I have a couple small scratches on my hull that could use some touch up. They are superficial and don't involved any glass. I spoke with Nitro and was given the part number and then received a quote for just a quart of $350. Looking on their website the price is a bit different (slightly cheaper with different options). I have a 2018 z19 that I want to touch up before trading. Anybody done the same? The hull is black.

I messaged Spectrum to get detailed info about potentially ordering and touching it up.....

Or should I just leave it alone and no risk screwing anything up seeing as I'm trading it in the next few weeks for my new 2021 z21.

2. Member
    you can buy a qt of gelcoat direct from spectrum for less than half that. They also sell patch paste kits for around 35 bucks for fixing small areas. Everybody that flips boats with black hulls has to do this every year. Never have done a white hull.

3. Member
    If I buy the black gelcoat, is it easy to appply/complete. Does it require anything additional other than just touching up the areas?

4. Member
    with the patch paste kit it comes with everything mixed in. If buying a qt of gelcoat you have to add the hardener mekp, and tape wax paper over it so it will cure. Gelcoat will not dry if exposed to air. There are several ways to do it. Add a wax additive, spray with pva afterwards, add 50/50 duratec, wax paper, or plastic film.

5. Member
    Ok... Thx

6. Member
    If they are small scratches a black sharpie might be the easiest answer. It is hard to expect that a 3 year old boat will not have a scratch or two.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    If they are small scratches a black sharpie might be the easiest answer. It is hard to expect that a 3 year old boat will not have a scratch or two.

So I actually tried this yesterday and you can pretty much not see anything wrong now.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    So I actually tried this yesterday and you can pretty much not see anything wrong now.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI