Thread: Rising lakes

Rising lakes

It has been 2 weeks since I have been on the water. It seemed with h2o temp fish would have spawned out in most places. Now the fast rapid rising water will blow everything out.

It want hurt the first wave of early spawning bass. It will actually give the fry cover to hide in. The ones that were actively spawning when it hit it will hurt and it is yet to be seen what it will do to the late spawners because it has yet to happen. Now my opinion only applies if you think the bass spawn is spread out over a 4-5 week period. Some think it all happens in a one week period so if your from that camp then it was a major loss.

3. Member
    Son and I were on Green on Sunday and high 62 low 63 degree water everywhere we went. All I can say is, we went fishing, not catching. Also the water seemed lower than normal.

4. Member
    Why would rising water hurt spawns? Dropping water does but never heard that about rising water
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

If the rise in water was extremely dirty it would hinder sunlight penetration which is one key in the puzzle needed for a successful spawn. Also if there was a massive rise in elevation it would put the active beds out of reach of the sunlight. From April 19 until May 5 the lake only rose a tad over 2 ft and the majority of that 2 ft was in the last couple days. This does not indicate a red flag for the entire lake in my opinion. The few areas of the lake that have farmland runoff probably got muddy and that had a small effect on active nest in those particular areas but the majority of the lake should still be in decent shape color wise and have a successful spawn.

The first wave is done and the second big push was actively going on as this last rain event happen. With the lake rising less than 3 ft hopefully pulling it want be a huge deal but there is more rain in the 10 day forecast so who knows what will happen.

6. Member
    Barren came up 6 feet in 24 hours and no doubt will rise even more. A lake rising 10-15 with mostly muddy water ruins any that were on beds and destroys any eggs that were laid. It can't be easy on the days old fry either.

Rising water is the main reason the Ohio river sucks. Too many times bass go on beds and the river puts 15 ft of muddy water over them. I'd say the spawn lasts a good two months, but I also believe that the middle wave is the biggest, which was occuring.

7. Member
    Two full mons pretty well does the spawn in my opinion!