Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The Force reverses when spotlock engaged

Anyone have any idea how to keep the trolling motor from going back 10ft after engaging spot lock. Ive even tried going backwards and then engaging and it still does it. I engaged it the other day in a tight area and almost backed into a rock pile.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I do t have a force but have learned to take the boat to. A stop before hitting spot lock. Watching the map that has a speed display 0.5 0.4 0.3 0.2 0.1 engage 0.0 will it still do it?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    You need to be stationary when you hit the spot lock. If your moving it will always try to go back to where the boat was when you engaged spotlock.
    my Ultrex is the same way.

4. Member
    Yep what they said. Need to be pretty still before engaging it. If you engage it and then still drift ahead a little ways its going to start trying to take you back exactly where you engaged it at.

5. Member
    My Ultrex doesn’t do that. I’ve seen a couple videos about this same issue. Travis Manson (smallmouth crush) talked about this issue on his boat review

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    My ultrex will do it if your moving at all and hit spot.I always double tap it so it has a idea of where we want to stop

You guys are killing me with the obvious! The boat is always at a dead stop. Still goes backwards. My ultrex never did this! Its almost like the Force is using the console MFD’s gps position. Im stumped and so is Garmin. They are aware of the issue. I was hoping someone may have figured this out.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    You guys are killing me with the obvious! The boat is always at a dead stop. Still goes backwards. My ultrex never did this! Its almost like the Force is using the console MFD’s gps position. Im stumped and so is Garmin. They are aware of the issue. I was hoping someone may have figured this out.
    Don't lump me in on that, I was really just asking. I couldn't imagine it would get the spot from a secondary source. But I would literally drive backwards 50' then hit spot lock and see if it backs up or what it does. Rather than pulling the boat.

9. Member
    Have you tried removing the TM from the consoles network to see if it still does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Don't lump me in on that, I was really just asking. I couldn't imagine it would get the spot from a secondary source. But I would literally drive backwards 50' then hit spot lock and see if it backs up or what it does. Rather than pulling the boat.
    Thats what i have done on numerous occassions. I get the boat moving backwards and hit spot lock and is still goes backwards. You would think since im moving almost 1 mph in reverse it would go forward to stay on the spot. Nope! It goes even further back and then forward. Im stumped! I might need to send this one back if suppport cant figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by toporanger View Post
    Have you tried removing the TM from the consoles network to see if it still does it?
    Yes! I may try and delete it from my menu and Active captain and see what happens then. I love my Garmins but this TM has been a PITA.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Yes! I may try and delete it from my menu and Active captain and see what happens then. I love my Garmins but this TM has been a PITA.
    Same issue here. Tried it all to fix it with no luck. Had an Ultrex before and it would hold i
    mediately. It’s the only feature (besides the prior foot pedal issues which now seem to be resolved) that I have issues with. The double tap on Anchorlock seems to help. Please keep us posted as I’m interested if there is a fix or other solution.

Mine does the same. Almost ran my outboard into the bank once. Now I try to anticipate the auto backup and go forward a bit before I hit the lock.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Have you been stationary for like the 10 seconds then hit the lock button? I'm just wondering if it isn't refreshing it's location at a fast tempo? I know on my bird units I have options for track point intervals and have my bow set to 10 seconds and 10' minimum. And I haven't used my garmin for mapping so I haven't explored that. (Not saying it would be a setting in the trolling motor or not just curious if you have stopped for a while prior to engagement

15. Member
    Outsider here. Where is the GPS antenna for the TM located(physically) My MK has it in the trolling motor head. If yours was on the stern it would always go backwards to get to it. Unless there is an offset that needs to be set in the software? Just spit balling! Bob
    Perhaps GPS selection if you have a choice?
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-08-2021 at 05:59 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

16. Member
    It can be used independently, without any MFD, so it must have a built-in GPS receiver.

I guess The issue has something to do with its control logic.

In addition, Garmin Force moves much more often than other brands, in anchor mode. Seems it doesn’t know or consider wind at all: direction and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Outsider here. Where is the GPS antenna for the TM located(physically) My MK has it in the trolling motor head. If yours was on the stern it would always go backwards to get to it. Unless there is an offset that needs to be set in the software? Just spit balling! Bob
    Perhaps GPS selection if you have a choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Have you been stationary for like the 10 seconds then hit the lock button? I'm just wondering if it isn't refreshing it's location at a fast tempo? I know on my bird units I have options for track point intervals and have my bow set to 10 seconds and 10' minimum. And I haven't used my garmin for mapping so I haven't explored that. (Not saying it would be a setting in the trolling motor or not just curious if you have stopped for a while prior to engagement
    Just the other day i was talking to a buddy in his boat. Dead calm as was we floated next to each other. After a few minutes i engaged spot lock. Backwards I went as usual then forward back to were I started.
    Like someone else mention if your in a tight area make sure you have room behind you. I almost put my stern into some rocks.

18. Member
    Always backwards toward the stern? Very strange unless it uses a different gps in back of the trolling motor. Does everyone have that same situation or just some? Does it do it if you don't have your fishfinder on?
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

It does the same when engaging the point and shoot heading with the remote. No matter where you point the remote, as soon as you engage, the TM spins and takes you off on a little trip port before turning back to the appropriate heading. Maybe something in the programming requires movement in a direction for a short period before it can lock on to the gps coordinate.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Maybe Todd can get us some answers on this problem. I was told last fall that Garmin would have a software update to fix the issue. Still nothing.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast