Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Im still waiting on mine to be delivered. But my in my experience with GPS it sounds like the device has to alter course to get heading, like its not recording the heading until you hit the button. Does it always go backwards even if say you were turning right?

I cant help fix it but as a mapping guy Im curious what its doing. Plus I want to know when I get mine installed.

Quote Originally Posted by toporanger View Post
    Im still waiting on mine to be delivered. But my in my experience with GPS it sounds like the device has to alter course to get heading, like its not recording the heading until you hit the button. Does it always go backwards even if say you were turning right?

I cant help fix it but as a mapping guy Im curious what its doing. Plus I want to know when I get mine installed.
    hmm interesting idea, what happens if you point the motor at the transom when hitting spot lock?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Doesn't matter what direction you point the motor. I was just out in the garage. Hit spot lock and the head turns and goes in reverse. I tried hitting spot lock twice and that seemed to confuse it. I'll need to try that trick on the water and see what happens. I Just sent off another E-mail to Garmin Support. I need to get this resolved and in the process help everyone else out that has this issue.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Doesn't matter what direction you point the motor. I was just out in the garage. Hit spot lock and the head turns and goes in reverse. I tried hitting spot lock twice and that seemed to confuse it. I'll need to try that trick on the water and see what happens. I Just sent off another E-mail to Garmin Support. I need to get this resolved and in the process help everyone else out that has this issue.
    Do you have current software loaded?

Trolling Motor v3.10
    Remote v2.50
    Foot Pedal v2.60
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Have you calibrated the TM? I could see where if the heading sensor wasn't calibrated it might got into a repeatable pattern to ensure it knew which way was forward, like always going in reverse.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toporanger View Post

Kind of an extension of this note: Do you have a separate heading sensor (e.g., a Steadycast or a Point 1)? I am awaiting my Force, and interested to know what you find as well.

I have the latest software and mine always backs up even when sitting dead still. Even when the TM is pointed aft when anchor lock is engaged. Everything is calibrated.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 05-10-2021 at 10:32 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

I installed the latest up date today from 3.00 to 3.10. Im on the water tomorrow so I will report back. I’m not optimistic at this point.

For those that ask. My TM has been recalibrated more times than I dare to count and I have steady cast. The TM always goes in reverse no matter were its pointed. The TM has done this since the day I picked up my new boat last Sept.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Mine does it everytime and has since day one. It's not a little jog either it seems to go way back. I love the damn trolling motor to death but this is the only part I hate and it keeps me from using that feature sometimes for sure. I hope they get a fix for it at some point.

10. Member
    I am getting a little worried. This seems to be a common "feature." The only reason I am swapping from my Terrova is that the spot-lock (older software) wanders too much -- i.e., I am upgrading for better spot-lock specifically. I went with Garmin to sync up with my electronics. If Garmin can't figure this out, I am thinking I may abandon ship and go with Ultrex/Ulterra because my fishing partner's works great. I really didn't think that they would have a problem with what should be one of the most important/"game-changing" (now basic) trolling motor features. I hope Garmin sees this as an actual problem. My Steadycast heading still drifts after sweeping turns and despite others having similar problems support acts like they have never heard of it.

11. Member
    I have learned that lesson a couple times. First year electronics has problems. Whoever makes it. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    https://youtube.com/shorts/M-jC3LiNAkI?feature=share

This is a test done one year ago. Will try it again in an open and dry space this week and see how it works with the latest software now.

13. Member
    I just tried my Force out this weekend and have the same issue. At first, I thought it was adjusting to forward movement. But I have the same issue at complete rest. In one instance, I was in reverse and anchored and it moved forward. Other than that, always reverses. I sure hope Garmin has a fix for this soon. My only complaint so far.

14. Member
    Interesting... I have been running a force for over a year now and I've never noticed this.

Well the YouTube video that is posted is in a garage, and I see it thinks it is moving 0.1-0.2 mph even though it is not moving. Poor or incomplete connections to satellites or the built in gps is damaged.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

16. Member
    If you are under a roof you can only get a weak satellite fix. that is typical to have the condition of having your gps appear to move around creating a speed. What I saw in the video was those motors to too strong and aggressive for the small boats. Is there a gain adjustment for that? Being familiar with MK there is what they call the boat size adjustment. What it does is either make the corrections less or more aggressive. If you tone it down a bit you don't have the type movements(zig zag trying to go straight) with the boat weight being light and the winds brisk. JMO Bob

17. Member
    It hunts a little much for me but haven't used it much yet

Well! A day on the water in windy conditions after the update. Nothing has changed. Im still waiting on Garmin support to get back with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Well! A day on the water in windy conditions after the update. Nothing has changed. Im still waiting on Garmin support to get back with me.
    Good luck with that, mine does it and it also slowly rotates the head all the way around and then it goes back around very fast to where it started. Does this off and on while in anchor lock. All they told me was to try lowering the TM gain with the remote........ not happy!
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

20. Member
    That answers one of my questions. There is a gain adjustment. Might try that. On my MK for instance having the gain(called boat size setting) too high causes over correction which begets more over correction! It affects all types of TM navigation including Spotlock. Not sure that solves the reverse on spotlock. But might be something to try. Bob

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast