mikesxpress

Exclamation With Only 2 Percent Lithium Inside, Why Are They Called Lithium-Ion Batteries?

For those of you interested in following emerging battery technology this is an independent website that details what's here and what's coming. NO BS "I'm trying to sell you something" crap that you normally see.
    I've been on it for a few years now.

Slide show:
    https://www.batterytechonline.com/ma...&elq_cid=69123

The salt batteries are interesting but don't Really matter if not on the market yet

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Electric vehicles arent the future in all honesty. hydrogen are in the long term. With that said so not sure how much more there going to be putting in developing new battery technology.

Can you power a cell phone with hydrogen?

I think there will always be a need for batteries

But wouldn't it be great to have a Hydrogen outboard motor
    The entire lake is your gas tank
    "The handicapped angler"

5. mikesxpress
    I disagree with that Kevin.
    Tesla, Ford, and GM have all built there own new battery plants here in the USA. Tesla is in the process of building a 2nd one.

I'm on board with the full electric pickup/SUV once they can get rapid charging development further along. The all electric F150 will be out next year but little detailed information is available on the actual specifications. If they can get the proposed on-board charging system and 500 mile range being discussed, I'll be interested.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I disagree with that Kevin.
    We can agree to disagree Mike, what makes this country great! I'll invest in hydrogen technology you invest in salt and we will compare $ in 10 years.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 05-05-2021 at 10:22 AM.

7. Banned
    Range with electric is the issue. I don’t want to stop and charge multiple times on vacation.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    We can agree to disagree Mike, what makes this country great! I'll invest in hydrogen technology you invest in salt and we will compare $ in 10 years.
    I guess I see it as a two way street. Hydrogen certainly "should" be moving forward (IE fuel cells, home power generation, heat/water by product etc.), however, the cost of production now is a serious offset. Not to mention the significant, safe, portable storage issues. Battery tech on the other hand has made some strides and does provide necessary power storage for PV cells (as well as our toys). Personally would rather see the Fuel cell tech develop faster, but at this point it seems like a snails pace, compared to EV and battery tech. I think we'll eventually see both, but the horse race at this point seems to favor battery tech... IMO

9. mikesxpress
    There are allot of different technologies being developed as it relates to powering vehicles/devices. I hope we're all around long enough to experience some of them in use. Presently we still are dependant on some form of fossil fuel to recharge the storage/propulsion systems we use now.

I would love to have electric vehicles. The acceleration, torque at all speeds and rpm, ease of maintenance, quiet operation would be great. But until we can run 300+ miles on a charge, pull over at locations as prevalent at fuel stations are today, charge and be back on the road in less than 10 minutes, and all for about the same total cost of ownership as fuel vehicles today, then it is just an environmentalist's dream. Pushing it on us by raising barriers to restrict fuel vehicles should not be tolerated. Lithium is NOT going to get us there. It is too expensive, too volatile, too toxic, and does not support the energy density and speed of recharge necessary. And where will the electricity to recharge all the additional batteries come from. Here is a fact, it won't come from windmills and waves and solar cells. We can't cover the entire country with these devices. If you push inefficient battery technology on the population then the only practical way to increase the generation of electricity necessary today is the burning of additional carbon based fuels like natural gas. Push research in feasible battery and power generation technology before forcing a not ready for practical application transportation technology on the country. The resulting cost effect on everything is far too great.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 05-06-2021 at 06:21 AM.

11. Member
    If the government would stay out of the way of private development there will be new technology come along that is practical and people will buy it. otherwise we just wasting the tax payers money, listening to government bureaucrats that have no knowledge of what they are doing or talking about is not the way for success.

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Can you power a cell phone with hydrogen?

I think there will always be a need for batteries

But wouldn't it be great to have a Hydrogen outboard motor
    The entire lake is your gas tank
    I've seen that comment before and it doesn't work that way. It takes energy to separate H and O in water so your boat would have to carry a power source for that. But, if you need an power source for electrolysis, then that weight and energy is probably used more efficiently to propel the boat than to make free hydrogen.

Currently, most hydrogen is produced from fossil fuels, namely natural gas, which has carbon emissions. So, unless their is a change on hydrogen production I don't see it replacing gasoline. And then if it did, a gallon of liquid hydrogen produces about 1/4 the BTUs of a gallon of gasoline so you're going to need more of it to do the same about of work, ie distance travelled. Now, I am coming at this from the point of burning H in an internal combustion engine. Might be different with fuel cells.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    I guess I see it as a two way street. Hydrogen certainly "should" be moving forward (IE fuel cells, home power generation, heat/water by product etc.), however, the cost of production now is a serious offset. Not to mention the significant, safe, portable storage issues. Battery tech on the other hand has made some strides and does provide necessary power storage for PV cells (as well as our toys). Personally would rather see the Fuel cell tech develop faster, but at this point it seems like a snails pace, compared to EV and battery tech. I think we'll eventually see both, but the horse race at this point seems to favor battery tech... IMO
    I've thought about safely storing H as well but to be fair, gasoline ain't exactly the safest stuff to have around either. We've just all grown up with it and accept the risk. Granted, H has to be stored under high pressures and very low temps was does at something to the level of difficult.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Supposedly the last phase in ten (10) steps of battery developments is Air Sodium. There are all sorts of internal components before the last design style they foresee today.

Not that Hydrogen is not the best source and Toyota has always thought that and was all in on Hydrogen, before Prius that was supposed to be a test platform. There simply is not enough infrastructure now to support those Hydrogen vehicles.

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Solid state battery

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Solid state battery
    I was going to mention Solid State

Because they don’t come with the dangers Lithium has it may be a matter of safety and become the required method of powering vehicles
    "The handicapped angler"

18. Banned
    If society had gone with Nikola Tesla and NOT SELL Edison, we'd be old hands by now.