Botched Software Update

I recently tried to update the software on one of my Helix 12 units. During the update the unit turned itself off. That required having to send the unit back to HBird for them to update it. My battery was fully charged so not sure why the unit shut down. I am concerned that the same thing will happen if I try to update my other unit. Any similar experiences or suggestions on how to avoid having the unit lose power or shut down?

2. Member
    Which model and update? There can sometimes be conflicts with other units or other accessories if they are connected and powered on. Did you restore defaults before the update?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    I have 2 Helix 12 MSI GPS G4 units. The units came on my new boat that I picked up March 1. HBird put new Software out 1 week later. I decided to go ahead and update to the new program. I did restore original defaults before starting the update. The unit powered itself down while The update was in progress. I just received the unit back from HBird today. They updated it. I am worried that will happen again if I try to update my other unit.

Seems like HB has got new people writing the updates because there are a lot of units crashing from updates recently
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    After it powered itself off did it still function when you tried to turn it on? I did an update on my dad's helix 9 and the same thing happened, screen went black. Turned it on and seemed to be working fine and showed it had the software that I was trying to download, but now he has black lines on side imaging that he never had before.

6. Member
    We also have new people doing the updates(and veterans). The unit is supposed to power itself off. Then it boots back up and tells you it was successful. If you interrupt it you may screw it up. Read and do the update step by step. No exceptions. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    How long is the update supposed to take. On our Helix 9 the screen went black during the update and I waited quite a while but if never turned itself back on or said it was successful.

8. Member
    If you have odd problems I would reset to defaults and see if your problems go away. A power fluctuation could stop the process. When the process stops is important. It could be in the middle of doing memory changes which might be critical. If it is interrupted it may or may not cause a major problem. Check to see if the software is the new number or not. Might need to do the update again if it did not finish. Good luck
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    yea.........had a problem with my helix 12, just stopped anything to do with sonar, down imaging, only gps worked. Worked last weekend at a tournament shut it down, went out friday no depth readings of any kind. Tried resetting defaults etc, called HB first thing to do is download newest software, 2.28 , after installing update, unit says invalid update, unit says it 2.28 base map still intact, but status says it doesn't have any, can't exit out of status screen, now only map on every button, calling HB tomorrow right before I take a sledge hammer to this POS, I am sending it to them, I DO NOT want it back, they can have it for parts, had a 1197 for years never a problem this MFER is a year and a half old and is already junk, this is gonna make me a garmin owner, I have had enuf.....period

10. Member
    Having same issues with my Solix 12s gen 3..... it has 3.97
    took out for the first time Friday.. all I got was horizontal lines on both units
    called HB .. lady said need the new .... 3,98. To fix the problem.. to connect the transducer

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

11. Member
    i had same problem i fixed mine by getting garmin on my new boat

Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    i had same problem i fixed mine by getting garmin on my new boat
    "The handicapped angler"

13. Member
    No. The unit turned itself off and then back on. It continued doing that over and over. I had to unplug it to turn it off. I plugged it back in and it continued to turn on and off. I followed every step in the process to the letter. My battery was fully charged. The unit just shut itself off midway thru the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Red89 View Post
    After it powered itself off did it still function when you tried to turn it on? I did an update on my dad's helix 9 and the same thing happened, screen went black. Turned it on and seemed to be working fine and showed it had the software that I was trying to download, but now he has black lines on side imaging that he never had before.

14. Member
    I had issues on my H9, Gen 2. Anastasia(I think that was their name) replied must have the update 2.28 installed. After reading all of these posts, no way I'm updating. A new transducer ended up being my problem.
    If the thunder don't getcha, the lightning will.

15. Member
    talked to HB today, walked me thru the mapping software, the instructions on HB website doesn't say you have to go into simulator mode for the mapping software, Dearma at HB gave ne the how to's, now I have the mapping software in the unit, she was awesome, not her fault the instructions are wrong. Now unit works as it should in the garage, still don't know if it is going to fix the original problem of no sonar, side imaging , or down imaging, could be the Y cable. Tomorrow I'm just gonna go and get a Y cable and hope for the best , otherwise it has to go to HB , and I will not be happy. Don't like doing updates to my units because everytime I do something ends up not working after I'm done, thats true with cell phones and my home computers, hoping for the best outcome