Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Not in our area Paul. I bought this house in Gallatin for 109,000 back in 1996. I sold it in 2005 for 153,000 and today it's at 286,000. It would be long paid for by now and renting for 1800 a month.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...42393937_zpid/
    It can be done John but I don't think to the extent that a ton of people were able to do it from the 70's-90's or so. The prices and availability of houses/land is farther out of reach for people starting out and trying to build wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    My 401K is doing just fine and I should retire very comfortably if everything keeps going as planned however that's not really what I am talking about. I was just referring to the idea of home equity being part of your portfolio to build wealth. Without selling you will never see that money. I am not going to rent either as I understand the drawbacks to that. This was meant as an "over a beer" discussion more than anything but it does have me reconsidering how aggressive we put money towards paying off the house.
    Paying off the house early is an entirely different question, and a good one. I subscribe to an arbitrage theory where I'm borrowing at 4% on my house but making 6-8% on some low-risk dividend stocks. So ideally I'd never pay it off.

But some like that peace of mind and don't want to owe anyone anything, and I think there's value in that as well. And if/when risk-adjusted returns fall below my 4% then it would make sense to pay that note down quicker.

3. Member
    I live in one of if not the hottest real estate markets in the country. We paid $300k for our house in 2009. My neighbor listed his home for $869k last Friday and accepted an all-cash offer of $969k. He had 23 written offers in three days. I hope it holds for two more years when I will retire, sell and move. Buying this house and paying it off was the second best financial decision we’ve ever made. The first was funding our 401ks for 25+ years.

4. Member
    With the rise of home values and real estate in general it has really got me thinking about home equity. So you live the American dream and buy a home. If everything goes to plan in 30 years (or less) you will have paid off the mortgage and have a nice nest egg sitting in your home. However you only get that money back out when you sell. Then you either have to buy another home which if its the same value or more you are just rolling that money into the new home. The other option is downsizing and then you will see a cash benefit but downsizing rarely happens. If you don't sell and live there forever your children or family are the only ones who will see the financial benefit. It just doesn't make sense. It's another "wealth builder" us plebs are being told is all part of the American dream.

What am I missing here?
    You say you have to sell it to realize the wealth, or use the money. Think about it this way. You could have a mortgage and pay $1000 a month for 20 years, then live payment free (minus taxes, repairs etc) the rest of your life, or you can pay $1000 a month for a few years, with rent increases every few years, possibly/probably a move or 2 as the rental sells etc, and after 20 years you still are paying rent, only now the rent is probably $2000-3000 a month. You get to keep paying this until you die.

After 20 years of paying your mortgage, you can sell your house for 2-3x what you bought it for. You can downsize, move, or just rent (which you would be doing if you never bought it). You now have access to your wealth.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    A lot of people don't die in their houses. They end up moving to elderly apartments where they still have their own residence, but there is also a staff to assist. These facilities cost a lot of money, but are far superior to the classic nursing home, or being a burden by making family care for you. Selling your house will help cover these costs.
    My parents followed this exact plan over ten years ago. Mom passed a couple of years ago, but Dad (95) is still in his nice two BR-2BA apartment with lots of people around. They all eat in a nice dining room with wait staff and cloth table covers and fresh flowers. There are two pools, a gym, a small library, game rooms etc. It is like a little cruise ship. They had a buy-in option when Dad moved in but now they are all rentals. There are no plug-ins for bass boats.

https://www.sagora.com/brennity-melb...endent-living/

6. Member
    It can be done John but I don't think to the extent that a ton of people were able to do it from the 70's-90's or so. The prices and availability of houses/land is farther out of reach for people starting out and trying to build wealth.
    I don't see this ad being true. It may be for your area, but on average it is not true. Young people are buying houses all the time. Anyone willing to work here can afford some kind of housing. It's getting harder to find places for under $150k, but not terribly hard. It may take some sweat equity to make it perfect, but $120-150k would buy a pretty liveable place.
    My in-laws are wanting to move back to my area. She called me yesterday and asked me to look for a 5+ bedroom house, in good shape, for $250k or less. I told her that would be a challenge. I punched it into Zillow and had quite a few options for her to choose from.

Housing in general will always be a good investment. Certain areas it won't be, and you don't know that when buying. Look at Detroit where whole neighborhoods are vacant. In general though, housing will increase in value. You are going to pay for it anyway, might as well pay yourself. Now if you can live somewhere else for free it might not pay.

7. Member
    The one factor that people tend to ignore with homeownership is the cost of maintenance. They know what they bought the house for and know what they sold it for but probably can't give an accurate cost of everything they paid along the way. A new roof, new air conditioner units etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1419 View Post
    Send me one then
    He won't dig up one of those cans he has buried in the back yard for less than 2 million.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    The one factor that people tend to ignore with homeownership is the cost of maintenance. They know what they bought the house for and know what they sold it for but probably can't give an accurate cost of everything they paid along the way. A new roof, new air conditioner units etc.
    My wife can on our house. She started a folder and everything bought to maintain the house goes in the folder.

10. Member
    My 401K is doing just fine and I should retire very comfortably if everything keeps going as planned however that's not really what I am talking about. I was just referring to the idea of home equity being part of your portfolio to build wealth. Without selling you will never see that money. I am not going to rent either as I understand the drawbacks to that. This was meant as an "over a beer" discussion more than anything but it does have me reconsidering how aggressive we put money towards paying off the house.
    Depending on your age you might be better off investing that extra money vs. putting it toward the mortgage. Personally, I'd rather have more money in my retirement account vs the house paid off faster. Because like you said, the only way you are realize any gains is to sell the house and then you have to buy another house that has also seen the same gains assuming you stay in the same area.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

11. Member
    Shoot our whole monthly budget will just about fit into 1 monthly mortgage payment so if our house is paid for vs having mortgage we are living for free month to month - kind of if you don't mind that kind of logic.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    My wife can on our house. She started a folder and everything bought to maintain the house goes in the folder.
    We use a spreadsheet and Dropbox. Either way works. Maintenance and taxes never go away. You never truly own the house with no payments.

13. Member
    Do the math, some times your way ahead to rent than buy a house. Figure in interest, maintenance, improvements and taxes.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    So true. It costs a lot more than people realize. I just spent 14,000 on a roof.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Do the math, some times your way ahead to rent than buy a house. Figure in interest, maintenance, improvements and taxes.
    Do the math on interest paid over 15/20/30 years of a mortgage. You aint "making" any money when you sell. Then add years of insurance.....and maintenance.

This "dream" is really just sales pitch for the banks/insurance compaines making money. You see, what better investment is there for them but a primary residence.

16. Banned
    Get Licensed & Bonded and You can become a 'caretaker' that way You can get paid and live rent free.

17. Member
    Isn't that the case with pretty much any asset you accumulate other than cash? Stocks? Land? Bass boats?

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Get Licensed & Bonded and You can become a 'caretaker' that way You can get paid and live rent free.
    There definitely is something to that...I have a friend that did it for years. But with each "passing" client...he became more depressed. Eventually, had to leave the profession. Just took too much out of him. My wife's aunt had a live in caretaker for the last 4 or 5 years of her life. She became like family. After my aunt in law passed the caretaker withdrew from us. Made it painful on everyone.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Sure you can rent a 1 bedroom apartment and you'll come out ahead vs. owning a 2000 sq foot house.

Now compare renting a 2000 sq foot house to owning a comparable 2000 sq foot house. The landlord has all the expenses you just mentioned and are factored into your rent and he still making a profit or he wouldn't bother renting it out. You are paying the same expenses when renting PLUS the owner's profit, only you are paying it a month at a time vs. one big expense when it pops up. Nobody is renting out houses for charity, they do it because it makes them money.

I never understood why expenses owning a home is considered a negative. It's just like anything else you own, it all has maintenance and needs to be replaced or repaired eventually. Life is expensive, you are going to pay one way or another no matter what path you chose.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

I would add in Texas alot of people do not consider there taxes paid on the property. In urban areas I seriously doubt anyone is really making money on a house. I know what I could sell my home for now, but that does not exceed the property taxes plus initial purchase + interest paid. In this market it would be a wash for me to sell, if I use a realtor I would loose overall.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast