Help with Nitro Z8 setup

I just bought a new to me 2013 Nitro Z8. I currently have a 25 pitch Tempest Plus on it. The best I have done is 64.5 MPH at 5850 RPM. I am getting a lot of slip and shooting a pretty good rooster tail. My Prop to Pad was around 4 inches. What prop works best on these boats? I tried doing a search but it is a little overwhelming and hard to get results.

Thanks
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    I have a 2011 Z8 with a 2018 Pro XS 2s - on a 10 Atlas - running both a Fury3 25P and a Bravo XS 27 both near 5900 on a Mercury Vessel View Mobile - running about 71.1 (just over solo and just under with 2 big humans). I do run heavy and my boat has never been fast - no matter what I seem to do - but absolute speed is not my primary concern. The Fury is faster but the Bravo has a ton of grip in turns. The Fury likes the plate run low and the Bravo like it higher. The Fury has more push getting on the trailer. After reading a bunch it seemed like the Bravo XS was deal so that's why I picked it up - and it is good but isn't really that crazy different in overall speed.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    I have a 2011 Z8 with a 2018 Pro XS 2s - on a 10 Atlas - running both a Fury3 25P and a Bravo XS 27 both near 5900 on a Mercury Vessel View Mobile - running about 71.1 (just over solo and just under with 2 big humans). I do run heavy and my boat has never been fast - no matter what I seem to do - but absolute speed is not my primary concern. The Fury is faster but the Bravo has a ton of grip in turns. The Fury likes the plate run low and the Bravo like it higher. The Fury has more push getting on the trailer. After reading a bunch it seemed like the Bravo XS was deal so that's why I picked it up - and it is good but isn't really that crazy different in overall speed.

Good luck.

-Jonathan

Thanks appreciate the response. I am not looking for crazy speed but would like to get around 70 MPH.

Tom
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    The 25 tempest should be about right for altitude, just need to find what is causing the slip. I liked the fury4 on my 2013. My recommendations would be above mentioned 25 tempest,24 fury3,24 fury4, and 26 bravo xs. Personally I didn't like the tempest on this hull. The fury3 will usually be the fastest for all out speed when the boat is lighter, but doesn't lift the hull below 5000 rpm. The fury4 and bravo XS will keep the boat out of the water at speeds 40 mph and less.

Supposedly 26-28 bravo xs is the cats meow. I have a stock 25p tempest plus and I have been to 76.6 4 times I would say my normal is 69-72 with 2 people

just make sure your not putting to much weight in the bow.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    On a Bravo 1 XS do you need to go up a pitch from the Tempest?
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1farmer View Post
    The 25 tempest should be about right for altitude, just need to find what is causing the slip. I liked the fury4 on my 2013. My recommendations would be above mentioned 25 tempest,24 fury3,24 fury4, and 26 bravo xs. Personally I didn't like the tempest on this hull. The fury3 will usually be the fastest for all out speed when the boat is lighter, but doesn't lift the hull below 5000 rpm. The fury4 and bravo XS will keep the boat out of the water at speeds 40 mph and less.
    I hardly have anything in the front. Just hard baits. So If I am running a 25 pitch Tempest I will want to go up a pitch for a Bravo 1 XS?
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS

At least one pitch. This is where I'm scared to venture out as well. But since your a little low on rpm one may be the choice. If you do it I'd love to hear from you after some time running it. I'm not sure is one pitch is enough for me or not.

but in the mean time you can raise your motor to 3.5 and then to 3.25. It will take less trim shooting less rooster to go fast. (Over trimming pushes the transom down into the water wasting effort)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    At least one pitch. This is where I'm scared to venture out as well. But since your a little low on rpm one may be the choice. If you do it I'd love to hear from you after some time running it. I'm not sure is one pitch is enough for me or not.

but in the mean time you can raise your motor to 3.5 and then to 3.25. It will take less trim shooting less rooster to go fast. (Over trimming pushes the transom down into the water wasting effort)
    Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what I do. I have my engine height set at 3.75 right now. I am going to run at that to see what my RPMs are on the Tempest before I spend money on a prop but am really thinking I do need a 4 blade to reduce my slip.
    2013 Nitro Z8
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS