Thread: Gen 4 epoxy

Gen 4 epoxy

So I bought some to try since everybody seemed to like it. Tried it a couple times and both rods the Gen 4 seemed to fisheye a little bit, didn’t quite self level like the pro flex I have been using. Purchased from Get Bit and use the syringes they sent me. Haven’t really changed my process any. Anybody else not having “stellar” results with Gen 4? Any suggestions? TIA
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

2. Member
    How many coats? I've found that it's usually 3 thin coats. It comes out really nice but I also get similar results with 2 coats of D2 and a little heat.

I see this on the first coat. I really don’t put it on too thick and usually do 3 coats. I use my rod lathe and small 1/4 wide semi stiff brush to apply. I applied the second coat this morning. May have to use pro flex for last coat to fix it. I dunno.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

4. Member
    i also just got my first batch of Gen 4 based on recommendations of things i have read hear but also suggestions from someone here that has pointed me in the right direction on several other items. i have put one coat on 4 rods this week and they all look great. followed directions closely, used syringe for measuring, mixed slowly for three minutes making sure i scraped sides and bottom while doing it, used a standard yellow brush that all the suppliers sell, and having not done a lot of rods i am a bit slow at applying it. these rods all dried great, very clear, no bubbles, nice and smooth, i didn't need to use heat and it went on great. again i have done one coat on 4 rods but honestly they don't even look like they need a second coat? I did use the standard Gen 4 not the thin coat.

What I have is the “Low Build Formula”. Their words, not mine. After the second coat, I still had some spots, especially in the decal area, that showed some fisheye, poor coverage, divots....if you will. Used the razor blade to smooth my thread spikes and went back with the last coat and used Proflex today. Finish came out purfect with the Proflex and fixed the issue with the Gen 4. So just my opinion on the Gen 4, not impressed.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

6. Member
    I have only used LS Supreme so my comment isn't on the finish. Fish eyes are a sign of contamination. It's not from the finish itself. If the finish itself were contaminated you'd have problems anywhere you applied finish.

Hard to tell where it came from, could have been the decal. Maybe the syringes, but unless the finish itself was contaminated, the problem isn't with the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I have only used LS Supreme so my comment isn't on the finish. Fish eyes are a sign of contamination. It's not from the finish itself. If the finish itself were contaminated you'd have problems anywhere you applied finish.

Hard to tell where it came from, could have been the decal. Maybe the syringes, but unless the finish itself was contaminated, the problem isn't with the finish.
    Gonna have to eat a bit of crow on this one. I figured if I introduced contamination it was from the syringes as these came in a kit with the self sealing caps you can put on the bottle. The syringes are color coded but have the look of a silicone lubricated syringe with the rubber plungers. So I have a box full of medical syringes and took five of them, pulled the plungers out and stuck them in the dishwasher in one of the small item bins in the silverware tray. Took them out this morning and they were squeaky clean. Dried them real good with a heat gun and off to the shop I go.
    Last night I finished up the wraps on a NFC blank and wanted to give the Gen 4 one more chance. Bassbme was exactly correct. It must have been silicon contamination from the syringes. This time the Gen 4 came out perfect and now I see why everyone likes it. Thanks Bassbme for making me take a harder look and do some troubleshooting of sorts. Certainly a lesson learned here:just because syringes come from a rod supplier doesn’t mean they are silicon free.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Glad you got it figured out! Contamination can be such a tricky thing. I was having a bunch of problems when I first started with getting fish eye and divots in wider, open areas (like decals) but no issues with my guides. Finally I figured out that cleaning things with denatured alcohol was my problem. I had figured that was the best way to remove contamination only to find out that was causing all my issues.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Dang. Wouldn’t have figured DNA would contaminate epoxy. I knew silicon was a big no-no. Are there any more epoxy contaminants to be aware and take caution of?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

10. Member
    I just got this and used it on my last 5 builds. I like it because I was always rushing to get a complete rod finished before the epoxy started firming up (I use micros, so I have more guides to coat). Gen 4 (low build) definitely has more working time (but will also need an extra day to cure when you’re finished). It will end up usually needing 3 coats because it is so thin (something I wanted). I did notice that it was clearer and glossier than Pro Kote and Flex Coat (thread colors seem to pop more). Not getting fisheying that you’re mentioning, this is also the easiest epoxy to level (for me).

11. Member
    I clean everything with denatured alcohol, and never had a problem. I typically throw away brushes, but I seem to remember cleaning a few in the past with no problems. I use epoxy cleaner for brushes now. I have even used a paper towel wetted with denatured alcohol to clean up messy lines (on fresh epoxy) and the edges have come out fine. Maybe denatured has issues with specific brands, but none of the ones I’ve used had any adverse effects. I even use denatured to clean old finishes before applying epoxy for a refresher coat.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I clean everything with denatured alcohol, and never had a problem. I typically throw away brushes, but I seem to remember cleaning a few in the past with no problems. I use epoxy cleaner for brushes now. I have even used a paper towel wetted with denatured alcohol to clean up messy lines (on fresh epoxy) and the edges have come out fine. Maybe denatured has issues with specific brands, but none of the ones I’ve used had any adverse effects. I even use denatured to clean old finishes before applying epoxy for a refresher coat.
    I've not run in to any epoxy that had an adverse reaction to denatured alcohol.