Headed to Amistad

Taking my son to Kurt Doves bass camp at amistad at the end of the month. I hope to just keep myself busy. Want to bring the boat but this is a long drag from Ohio. I have never fished a Texas lake. I assume southern Texas at the end of the month might be rough. Opinions?

Also, looked for Amistad on the Fish Smart app to try and download but it looks to not exist. Do I have to buy the map card for my birds?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    Yes buy map cards. The lake has many vertical cliffs. Drive your channels. Also the lake is huge, so it can be intemidating at first. It’s nice to know how to get back to your ramp. I’ve participated as a guide and councilor at Kurts camp. It’s gonna be a blast! It’s pretty warm this time of year, but not as hot as it gets. Rough... depends on wind direction, speed and size of your boat. There are 5 ramps, if you study up on it most of the wind comes from the south or west. You can generally launch and make a run to calm places. If it’s real bad ( over 20 mph) I will launch in the Devils and just fish the river.

3. Member
    The long drag is worth every mile of it for the scenery. Devils canyon is the first place to start just be careful as you get close to the falls. Then go to Panther Cave. It's a long boat ride but worth it. The fishing is not bad you just have to be able to fish clear water.

https://sanantonioreport.org/accessi...ecos-rock-art/

4. Member
    Thanks guys. Clear water doesn't scare me as I fish spring fed lakes regularly.

Any recommendations on places to stay as well as areas to avoid?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    Thanks guys. Clear water doesn't scare me as I fish spring fed lakes regularly.

Any recommendations on places to stay as well as areas to avoid?

Yeah, avoid the Mexican Border...haha

Kurt and associates put on a fine camp.
    There are no motels out by the lake anymore but several good places to stay in trailers or small cabins. Otherwise you will need to get a room in Del Rio.
    River Street lodging has the most trailers and there are a few more.. A good search on the web for phone #s plus I'm sure Kurt can get you some places also.
    The lake is about 50 ft low so a good lake chart is advisable, this lake is full of (gotcha LU spots).. Unless you have an airboat the trip to Panther caves is a no go. The predominant wind is out of the southeast and when blowing hard the main lake from the dam to mouth of Burro will test your boating skills. However at this lake level and time of year, outside of a thunderstorm it shouldn't get too bad.. Odds are you will be wanting a breeze. If you've never fished deep hydrilla it will be a good time to learn.. Good luck and enjoy.
    I've not been down in over a month so I don't have a current report to give. If i was going I'd be sure to have a couple of top waters and some punching gear with big plastics. Surely Kurt will have a report..

7. Member
    Kurt runs the camp out of River Street (830-734-3428) so it may be crowded but you may find a trailer out there to stay. Like said Panther Cave is a no go. Lake is dropping daily with the release but they are slowing it down again. Water temps climbing and so is the Air. No issue's fishing in Mexico if you go just have a license.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The lake is 49.2' low, be sure you run the channels. You can be in real skinny water in a heartbeat. Most of the ramps are closed. Diablo, Box and the Rough Canyon low water ramps are open. There are a couple of more listed in the last link that I've never been to.

Water Data For Texas

Current Conditions - Amistad National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Operating Hours & Seasons - Amistad National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

9. Member
    Box is down to a single lane right now. NPS just posted..