Seastar pro hydraulic steering

I’m needing some information. I topped off my steering by the filler cap and moved wheel both ways. Did not put very much in maybe a small cap full. Then checked and loosed the filler cap and had pressure when removing cap. I was looking to know if there should be pressure after unscrewing cap or I’m I needing to bleed system again. Not seeing any leak from helm or on back or from values or cylinder. Thanks

2. Member
    Don't sweat it. It's O.K. to have a little pressure build up in there I fill mine by turning it all the way to one direction and filling it. Sometimes when I go the other way and take the lid off a little bit comes out. What's important is to not let air get downstream, and it would take a big leak to drain the helm.
    The "Pro" system uses a quicker helm (pump) and it can be harder to turn than the regular helm.
    There are hundreds of Oil Elves in there that steer the boat when you turn the wheel, sometimes they get a little sloppy.

If you checked the reservoir on one of those hot days we just had the temp change could have caused the fluid to expand.
    Are you having any steering issues at all? Seastar Pro is a great system and smooth as silk. I have never had pressure build up in mine, but I dont check it very often.
    No leaks at the end caps or hose connections?
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Member
    No I have not noticed any leaks and I really checked hard today... So I checked bleeder valves, hose connectors at helm and cylinder... Only problem is I spilled oil filling so I'll have to wait on helm to dry out but don't think it's leaking. It's I had a 2003 triton tr-19 with hydro steering and this 2012 just seems the steering feels loose or maybe just real easier to steer. That's why I opened up and topped off oil. I will really keep a eye on it.... Thanks for input. I did order new bleeder valve, seal kit and a new filler cap with new o ring so I'll have the stuff if I need to change out. I know it's not showing any signs on the steering rod so I think those seals are good but the valves and steering shaft seal will get changed if need be. Thanks guys

5. Member
    Uh oh. Watch that fluid it eats carpet cement.

6. Member
    It sounds like you still have some air in the system, I had to turn the wheel hard to the right and then hard to the left before I got all of my air on my old boat

7. Member
    Well pulled steering wheel and found the leak... small leak at the seal on the steering shaft more like a weep than a leak but enough to cause a slight stream the be visible and could air in system. Seal should get here this afternoon and will install and bleed system. Thanks to everyone that gave input

8. Member
    Well I've tried to get the seal that goes around the steering shaft to seat but keeps leaking..... Is there something I'm not doing right... I've made sure the CE Mark is on the top. anyone have any ideas? Or suggestions or is it time for a new helm.

9. Member
    Also I've know there's no leaks at cylinder or bleeder valves and hose on back of helm

Just to clarify, its at the helm pump at the steering wheel shaft. Did you buy Seastar oem seal or aftermarket?
    Trying to think through what would make it leak and I come up with 2 possibilities. Seal- bad seal or wrong seal. Shaft - scored or worn shaft.
    Just to double check and not to say you didn't do
    Did you put lubricant on the ID of the seal before installing? When you installed the new seal did it go in smoothly or hard to install(as in did it get distorted). Did you inspect and clean the shaft to insure there was no nicks, scratches or worn spots..
    I am going to guess its the seal itself or something with the installation of the seal.

11. Member
    Coach thanks... Seal kit HP6032...new kit..... Put a thin coat of oil on seal... Seemed to go on smoothly and seemed to seat with the level of the seal but I really his wiped some shaft to say inspect shaft I did not but wiped down ..... So I'm going order another kit and try again

pm sent

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Make sure you use the seal install guide tool it helps immensely.

Champ, is there a guide for the helm unit seal?

15. Member
    pm sent