What is the Difference Between Helix and Solix?

Can someone give me a brief description of the differences? I fish small lakes in Minnesota. Thanks!

2. Member
    Touch screen (Solix) Vs Non Touch (Helix).
    -Rich Craft
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite / Mercury Pro XS 250 Ser # 3B013525

3. Member
    Cost, operating system, quality and maybe a little harder to learn depending on background with similar models.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member

5. Member
    Helix is awesome. Solix sucks.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by all4s View Post

I think you have this backwards! Solix forever.

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There are several threads on this exact same question. You should find a lot of good information if you do a forum search on the three words... Helix Solix Difference
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

That answer is as informative as a blank piece of paper
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    That answer is as informative as a blank piece of paper
    I know. I’m mad at myself for a making a post like that.
    Helix screen seems much brighter. Better sunny day visibility. Helix menus are very easy to navigate. Be prepared to have cheat sheets and the instruction manual on your phone to remember how to navigate the Solix. (Yeah, I know there is one on the unit.) The quality of Side Imaging is the same. I didn’t look at the specs to check if they are different. But I have both and can’t tell the difference. Most people would be happy with the Helix. Unless you love complex electronics, and require the need to tweak stuff to the way you exactly want it. It’s just not worth the money to me. Plus, I have had more problems with my Onix and Solix units. None with the Helix. Could just be me.

I know. I’m mad at myself for a making a post like that.
    Helix screen seems much brighter. Better sunny day visibility. Helix menus are very easy to navigate. Be prepared to have cheat sheets and the instruction manual on your phone to remember how to navigate the Solix. (Yeah, I know there is one on the unit.) The quality of Side Imaging is the same. I didn’t look at the specs to check if they are different. But I have both and can’t tell the difference. Most people would be happy with the Helix. Unless you love complex electronics, and require the need to tweak stuff to the way you exactly want it. It’s just not worth the money to me. Plus, I have had more problems with my Onix and Solix units. None with the Helix. Could just be me.
    I dont find the Solix menus hard to navigate at all. In fact, having to use buttons to navigate a Helix has been more of a pain to me than Solix navigation. Helping my buddy with settings on his Helix is absolutely brutal. Took two trips with the Solix and I had them dialed in and the menu systems down pretty dang good. I havent had any issues with the Solix, but have only had them for a month. The ability to make custom screens is very nice over the Helix as well as not needing an adapter for what seems like every connection to the Helix.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

11. Member
    i'm in the same boat. my boat came with a helix 10 for 360 and a helix 9 upfront and then a solix 12 at the console. It bugs me not being able to share graph info between the console and front so I've been debating on selling the helix 9 and getting a solix 10 or selling the solix 12 and getting a helix 12. Just can't make up my mind. It'll probably come down to whichever 1 I find used first. Coming from a helix background I did find the solix menus hard to navigate, but the touchscreen feature is really nice. The solix has a higher pixel rating as well which will in turn make your side imaging pictures a little sharper.

12. Member
    For me, having a touch screen and being able to customize views made the Solix worth the extra money.
    2020 Skeeter FXR21
    2020 Yamaha 250 SHO
    Solix 15 - dash
    Solix 12 - bow
    Ultrex
    Sea Clear Power harness

Can't imagine ever owning another MFD that wasn't touchscreen.

14. Member
    I compared both for about a month. I really liked the Solix but, you can’t adjust the size of panes on the Solix, but you can with the Helix. Since I see myself running the screens at a 60/40 or a 70/30 split most of the time, I went with the Helix 10s on the console and bow. It really pissed me off to do it though. I really wanted the Solix, especially considering how much better it works with Navionics. And I really liked the touch screen too. With the Helix, a number of the Navionics functions don’t work and, the Humminbird Lakemaster charts don’t cover 99% of the areas I fish. Ended up using a Lowrance unit just for mapping.

The only reason I went with Humminbird, is for the Ulterra integration. I often fish solo in moderate river current and wanted the self deploy. Otherwise, I would have gone Lowrance or Garmin. It really irritates me that I’ve got close to $10,000 in this system, and it’s still kinda half-ass.

15. Member
    I have the Helix 15 at the bow and Solix 10 and Helix 9 at the console. I have to say both units have advantages. I find it much easier to navigate the settings on the solix with the touch screen verses the helix's. I also like being able to customize the screens on the Solix and it's easier to save waypoints with the touch screen. What I LOVE about the helix's are the "favorites" buttons on the side. These are way faster and handier than trying to switch screens on the Solix. On the 15, there are (6) favorite buttons! I also like the ability to be able to resize the screens on the Helix. Both units have pro's and con's. Just gotta figure out what you prefer.

16. Member
    I've owned Solixes for all of a couple weeks, so I'm no expert. And they are complicated. I kind of enjoy that though, I like learning as I go and utilizing all the functions.

I have it sitting next to a Live. And the imaging on all HB products, which is light years better than the competition, is what matters. Helix or Solix is just personal preference.