250 Merc 4 stroke Pro XS PSI issues

My 250 four stroke pro xs is having low psi and overheat issues and can’t figure out why. Impeller has been recently replaced but I notice that when I sit at idle even when I first launch my smart gauge shows the temp consistently going up to 150-160-170. I have to engage the throttle to get the temp back down to 140 constantly. Engine is pissing the entire time.

When cruising at 4500 rpm psi shows between 7 and 11 usually. If wide open it sometimes goes up to 17-20 but a lot of times its 13. Get off pad, temp starts rising. Any ideas? Jack plate usually down. Boat id a 520 L Ranger.
    2019 Ranger Z520L Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please be sure to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Anytime you are having cooling or water pressure problems, you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS start AT THE SOURCE: The Water Pump.

Make sure you have a new impeller and gaskets (at a minimum). Better yet, complete kit (may not need the housing so a complete repair kit without the housing will likely suffice).

Thermostat testing/inspection is part of the Annual Maintenance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Had same issue on brand new motor. It was missing 2 o rings from the build.
    2021 Vexus VX20
    250 Pro XS V8