AGM or Wet Cell starting battery?.

I have a size 27 Duracell wet cell starting battery and it has been great. If I didn't need the battery for something else I would keep using it for the year. I am going to replace it with either a Duracell 31 AGM ($250) or the Duracell Wet Cell ($125). Besides no maintenance, what are the important advantages of the AGM over the wet cell? How many years can I expect to get out of an AGM? I am leaning towards getting the wet cell Duracell and saving the extra $125. I would already be buying a bigger battery than I already had and I easily got 5 years out of my old one. What are your thoughts?
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

I had the duracell agm for 7yrs and still going strong. Agm batteries are sealed and can't spill or leak. That's enough said for me. Plus they usually last atleast on average 10 years if you keep them on a battery maintainer.

3. Member
    You can get the Duracell AGM at Sam's Club for $180 or $160 on sale. I've started my 250 Vmax with one when my cranking battery went out but that battery not typically recommended for over a 150HP. I just had to put a new cranking battery in my boat and went with the X2 due to my electronics but it's pricey.

Depending on which graphs you have and that electric driven talon I'd definately lean towards the biggest AGM you can afford. AGM's can be mounted in any direction, usually last 1.5 times as long as a wet cell, hold their power longer, don't leak acid and don't require maintenance
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd go with the AGM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Always go AGM if you can afford it. It wont spill. It can actually be mounted on its side if needed. It will recharge in significantly less time. It is far less susceptible to sulfation which is what kills most wet cells. If you are unfamiliar with that, read the article below. The glass mats support the plates and make the battery much less likely to shake a plate loose in rough water. Life is something that is hard to put a number on but treated identically, the AGM will last significantly longer than a wet cell. Particularly if they are not kept fully charged all the time and not charged frequently.

Sulfation: What is it and How to Avoid it? (crownbattery.com)
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 05-04-2021 at 12:53 PM.

6. Member
    I like AGM because I don't have to take them out of the boat during the winter storage (5 months). I can't charge my batteries during that time because the boat is away from home, stored outside. They keep their charge during the winter. I've got a Northstar AGM (starting) and 3 Duracell AGM and come spring they charge up fine in less than an hour.
    Last edited by Real L; 05-04-2021 at 03:45 PM.

7. Member
    I've used Duracell A G M size 31 for the past 10 years as a starter, never had a problem with them. Some manufacturers say don't, I have a 2020 Suzuki 200HP I don't think Suzuki recommends it but I do.

Thank you for the responses but I have to say I am no closer to making a decision. I do have a separate battery I use just for electronics and I am halfway tempted to get the X2 and only have the 1 battery. On the other hand, I can get the $100 dollar wet cell size 31 and it will meet my needs for the next 5 years just fine and I can spend $300 on fishing trips.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Fisherman View Post
    Thank you for the responses but I have to say I am no closer to making a decision. I do have a separate battery I use just for electronics and I am halfway tempted to get the X2 and only have the 1 battery. On the other hand, I can get the $100 dollar wet cell size 31 and it will meet my needs for the next 5 years just fine and I can spend $300 on fishing trips.
    Consider the no maintenance factor. I have an X2 and no dedicated electronics battery. Not necessary. Will get two new AGMs as my trolling motor batteries as well.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    4 Duracell 31 series Sam's AGMs in my boat, 3 trolling, 1 starter (250 SHO).
    Never any issues.

I'm so undecided. Bought used boat and has 3 cheap wet cells for the tm. I think previous owner switched out. Plus a portable 36v charger good brand but really made for golf carts. I'd like to get a powerpole charge but is it worth the expense? Also can't decide agm or lithium. If agm I'd go duracells which are made by Deka $180ea. If lithium I'm looking at tess Electrics 100ah battery for $590ea. Worth it? Idk. I'd never pay so.e of the other brand lithium battery prices. They are way over priced because they say marine on them. So undecided. [ATTACH=CScreenshot_20210505-110454_Chrome.jpgONFIG]450832[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ampdreamer1; 05-05-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Look at this about TessScreenshot_20210505-110454_Chrome.jpg

I only have a wet cell because my motor is an older Merc with a stator that is said not to play nice with AGMs. Based on the motor in your signature, I'd be running a group 31 AGM if it were me. Even though it might be "more" than you need and even if you don't care about the no venting/no mess factor, there's something to be said for peace of mind, plus it will improve longevity because you will be discharging it less each time to use it. Deep discharges are what kill traditional chemistry batteries, and even if you're not really "deeply discharging" your current battery, it's all relative.

The Duracell AGMs at Sam's are fantastic bang-for-the-buck if you have them in stock locally--Deka Intimidators with different stickers.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    5 years out of your old group 27 wet battery. Why change anything at all and stick with the same one, or, as you are already considering, perhaps a little larger group 31`series of the same Deka/Duracell flooded type? As mentioned, the less discharge each time out from a 31 may give you a little more longevity. Obviously the so called "maintenance" of five minutes for checking your water levels every month or two hasn't been an issue for you in the past.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    5 years out of your old group 27 wet battery. Why change anything at all and stick with the same one, or, as you are already considering, perhaps a little larger group 31`series of the same Deka/Duracell flooded type? As mentioned, the less discharge each time out from a 31 may give you a little more longevity. Obviously the so called "maintenance" of five minutes for checking your water levels every month or two hasn't been an issue for you in the past.
    I see in one of your other posts that you need a “good” charger for the X2. I use a portable Minn Kota 110 charger for my starting battery. Is that enough?
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

16. Member
    I see in one of your other posts that you need a “good” charger for the X2. I use a portable Minn Kota 110 charger for my starting battery. Is that enough?
    I would go with a MK PC series charger instead. lt has selectable profiles, one specifically for AGM, and, if upgrading, I would go with a 15 amp/bank charger for that X2.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

17. Member
    I recently got the X2 and love it so far. Cranking my Merc 150 ProXS is noticibly better and the recharge time is shorter considerably. If you can wrangle this beast it is worth it IMO. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ight=wrangling

The X2 is 10% off if ordered online and a $30 rebate until June.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

AGM. Worth every dime. No maintenance, no fumes, and no worries if it were to ever flip it over on a rough run to the dock, and it sit on its side for weeks while you charge it multiple times, and go on multiple fishing trips before you realize the strap broke and the battery was laid over. I speak from experience.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I run ALL AGM's not just because there is no mess in the bilge, but my starting battery is tucked in behind the oil tank and would be a nightmare to try and add water too !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

20. Member
    Although expensive, the North Star or X2 (made by North Star) size 27, has a CCA rating as high as some other AGM brands in size 31.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200