Thread: Z521L Brakes

Z521L Brakes

Pulling my 2021521L and my truck (Tundra) won't recognize I'm towing anything. All of the trailer lights/signals work however the brakes do not engage when braking. Had the same issue pulling an airstream several months back, would let me set gain on towing mode but the braking was intermittent at best, most of the time it would just say "no trailer" in the dash. Anyone know what could be wrong with the truck?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoobnayst View Post
    Pulling my 2021521L and my truck (Tundra) won't recognize I'm towing anything. All of the trailer lights/signals work however the brakes do not engage when braking. Had the same issue pulling an airstream several months back, would let me set gain on towing mode but the braking was intermittent at best, most of the time it would just say "no trailer" in the dash. Anyone know what could be wrong with the truck?
    Here is something from e-trailer that might be of use.....
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-336052.html
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

3. Member
    You do know your Ranger has surge brakes and not electric brakes. Now your air stream should have electric brakes so it should have worked.

4. Member
    Definitely did not know that.....so brakes automatically applied on trailer when it senses truck braking?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoobnayst View Post
    Definitely did not know that.....so brakes automatically applied on trailer when it senses truck braking?
    https://trailervalet.com/what-are-surge-brakes/
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

surge brakes work when to tow vehicle slows and the trailer pushes forward collapsing the hydraulic tongue. When in reverse an electric solenoid opens and bypass's the fluid so you can back up
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS