Buggs island fishing advice for first timer

Hey guys me and my brother are gonna be making the 5 and 1/2 trip next wednesday to buggs island for a few days. Going to be putting in at Occoneechee ramp but will gladly put in somewhere else if needed. We have never been on this lake before and had a guide set up for thursday of next week but it fell through due to health reasons. The lake looks huge on google maps and appears to have thousands of little pockets all over the lake that look about the same. We have no idea where to start or how to fish this lake and would hate to make long trip and it be a bust. Can anyone give me any advice on where to go and what to target for bass? Do we need to fish above bridge in river or down in main lake? I appreciate any advice. If preferred you can PM me. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Rudds creek Ramp may be better, smaller and less traffic. Fish the Points and coves in Rudds, from there you will have to venture out and spend some time looking.
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

3. Member
    Thanks!!!! Have the bass been on bed yet? Where i am at they are on bed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yjhammer11 View Post
    Rudds creek Ramp may be better, smaller and less traffic. Fish the Points and coves in Rudds, from there you will have to venture out and spend some time looking.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swvabassangler View Post
    Hey guys me and my brother are gonna be making the 5 and 1/2 trip next wednesday to buggs island for a few days. Going to be putting in at Occoneechee ramp but will gladly put in somewhere else if needed. We have never been on this lake before and had a guide set up for thursday of next week but it fell through due to health reasons. The lake looks huge on google maps and appears to have thousands of little pockets all over the lake that look about the same. We have no idea where to start or how to fish this lake and would hate to make long trip and it be a bust. Can anyone give me any advice on where to go and what to target for bass? Do we need to fish above bridge in river or down in main lake? I appreciate any advice. If preferred you can PM me. Thanks in advance.
    Check out this fishing report posted on the Buggs Island Message Board. It may give you some insight.

https://kerrlake.proboards.com/threa...21-apr-01-2021
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
    ><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'· .¸.·´¯'·...><((((º>

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by swvabassangler View Post
    Thanks!!!! Have the bass been on bed yet? Where i am at they are on bed right now.
    I'd think they bass will be off the beds by now, most (but not all!) are post-spawn on SML and Buggs is always ahead of us. I fished Falls Lake, NC two weeks ago and it is just south of Buggs and bass were almost all off the beds.

6. Member
    unless you want to pay fees for occoneeche ramp i'd definately either fish out of rudds creek or longwood ramp. both of these will put you in good areas for fishing with quick access to main lake if you decide to head that way. been catching fish from the bank out to 15 ft of water but havent been in the last week but would think they would be moving out some. as long as water doesnt start rising should be good fishing although a cold front is coming thru.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric13579 View Post
    Check out this fishing report posted on the Buggs Island Message Board. It may give you some insight.

https://kerrlake.proboards.com/threa...21-apr-01-2021
    Thanks for link!!!! Very good information there!!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckmaster27012 View Post
    unless you want to pay fees for occoneeche ramp i'd definately either fish out of rudds creek or longwood ramp. both of these will put you in good areas for fishing with quick access to main lake if you decide to head that way. been catching fish from the bank out to 15 ft of water but havent been in the last week but would think they would be moving out some. as long as water doesnt start rising should be good fishing although a cold front is coming thru.
    Didnt know there was a fee. Think i will putting in at rudds creek now.

9. Member
    Like others have said Rudds is good. I've also always liked Grassy creek. Those two and Nutbush are my favorites but there are so many to choose from. Grassy ramp is, or used to be, good too. If you do go in at Occoneechee, the points and pockets on the right side just down river of the Clarksville bridge have been good to me this time of year.

We fished Eastland last weekend and did good throwing 10 and 12'' worms off the points. Water was a little muddy once you got in the back of Rudds and Butchers but halfway out was clean. Saw a bunch of fry in the pockets. So I'd say the majority have prob spawned.
    Blazer 625/300xs

11. Member
    I'd stop in and talk to the folks at Bobcat's Lake Country Store in Clarksville. Great tackle shop and they can fill you in on all the fishing there.