Leader Knots...favorite knots/lines/rods/reels

In the market for a dedicated swim jig, Texas Rig rod. Really want to run braid to flouro. What are you guys running this kind of setup with? Rod will be a heavy, 894 loomis or 754 (or 755) dobyns (I heard they run a power light). On the heavier side because it's for Kissimmee Grass and Hydrilla. 1/2 oz. swim jigs and speed worms mainly. I have the Perfect Pitch Orochi, and it's just a tick too stout. That's really dedicated to light pitching.
    Everything else is wide open, fire away. 40 braid to 20 flouro is what I'm thinking.

This will be an important set up, that gets used a lot, so I want to get all the info I can.

2. Member
    I have pretty much settled on #40 braid for this application. For the leader material I use #18 FC Sniper or #20 Assassin fluorocarbon. I use the Crazy Alberto knot as it’s slimmer than a Uni to Uni knot. Though if you are proficient in tying it, the FG knot is probably better yet

3. Member
    I agree with Tyler. I use 40# braid (no leader) for my swim jigs. For me, if I'm going to run a fluoro or mono leader, I love the FG knot. It's the only connection knot I've tried where I don't get the "ticking" of the knot going through the guides. That always bothers me and I feel it affects my casts. The FG knot also goes through the T-Wing line guide on Daiwa reels much better than other connection knots. If you run leaders a lot, I would spend some time focusing on how to properly and quickly tie the FG.

4. Member
    I progressed from the easy to tie and reliable uni-to-uni, then Alberto, to FG, to Slim Beauty...I have forced myself to learn the Shin Fukae knot and it is my favorite now, so long as the leader isn't too thick vs the mainline. If I want the easiest/smoothest casting with main line to thicker leader, the slim beauty is my preference, however the Shin connection knot is quickly becoming my favorite.

For the tech you mention plus braid + leader, I would likely use my Evergreen Heracles EG Swimmer (or my custom MHX CB 907) for swimjigs and my Megabass LWL Super Diablo II F5.5 70ti for the T-Rig and Swimjig...only because these are the only rods I have with me AMT that would fit this scenario.
    Last edited by dragon1; 05-05-2021 at 09:32 PM. Reason: missed info