Thread: Surge brakes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 61Woody View Post
    I replaced my actuator and bled the brakes and still get what I consider excessive slam when even slowly pulling away from a stop. I also have a hitch clamp making the hitch itself solid as a rock. Must be the nature of the beast.
    You can’t get rid of it all. If the trailer brakes are on when you stop, they are on when you just start to pull away so the actuator gets pulled forward as the truck moves. Kind of like pulling something with a chain. If you creep forward just a bit after you stop, it may help make it less violent.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

My trailer, which is a Ranger Trail has no movement at all as to what you guys are saying. Mine is an '05 tandem which must have been blessed by the Pope, lol.

Also, make sure the Master Cylinder is full and brakes have been bled. It can also be a weak shock in the Surge brake connector.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I'd say it's the Hitch and Receiver. Shake the hitch and see if there is a lot of movement. A little is normal. There are Hitch stabilizers and tighteners that can help.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hitch+tig..._ts-doa-p_4_11
    I put one of those on and they work great
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 61Woody View Post
    I replaced my actuator and bled the brakes and still get what I consider excessive slam when even slowly pulling away from a stop. I also have a hitch clamp making the hitch itself solid as a rock. Must be the nature of the beast.
    Sounds like your shock absorber in the actuator is shot
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12