1986 yamaha 115 has a constant siren noise from throttle box

Hey all so i got a question. I have a 1986 Yamaha 115 2 stroke. The previous owner I bought it from can the oil pump reservoir disconnected from the boat side and engine side because they felt like they did not trust it so they just unplugged it and pre-mixed there gas in oil. I have done the same thing because the oil pump looks a little old and I don't trust it myself but I have a beeping noise that comes on from time and not at Full Throttle but at idle mode or in neutral. Would it be possible that the siren will come on because it's not hooked up?. Also there are three lights that do appear that to show there is low oil and it stays on all the time but then I wonder if it's overheating but I don't believe it is due to the fact it is peeing out the side out the motor at a good stream. I have noticed that when it start beeping and I was getting ready to engage into Full Throttle the engine would rev down so it makes me a little nervous and I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and is there a way to fix it?

2. Member
    Is it a beep beep beep sound or a steady tone?

If the tone is coming and going sporadically, and it is not oil system related (in which case it would be sounding all of the time) then it possibly is over temperature related. The pee stream is just an indicator that the water pump is pumping water. It does not mean that the motor is running cool.

If and when the motor has a low oil quantity in the main oil tank (not applicable now since the previous owner screwed up) then it is likely an over temperature situation. At the time the warning horn sounds due to over temperature the motor goes into RPM reduction mode. Trying to keep the operator from damaging the motor.

Do I presume correctly that the three lights are oil system related and not over temperature related?

Normally there are two things that cause the alarm and RPM reduction. Low oil quantity and over temperature. But a low voltage situation can also cause it. Poor connections.

3. Member
    Yes it is a Constance siren that occurres when in neutral and at low speeds sometimes. I had it on the water last weekend and everuthing was fine then i see light come on for low oil and no alarm but then 10 mins later it comes on and i turn off the motor then wait 10 seconds then turn the key and aram is still there then i try again 5 sec after then alarm is gone and the engine did fine. The way I look at it if an engine is overheating it would take longer than 10 seconds for it to cool down so that makes me wonder if it is something totally different then the engine overheating.

4. Member
    In 99% of all instances the Yamaha warning horn is a steady tone. No beeps.

If there is a low oil light (yet the system has been bastardized by eliminating the oil injection system) then whatever wiring was left in the boat could be causing the problem. The fool that took the system out of the motor failed to complete his job and remove the oil light and related wiring.

5. Member
    Hey yam911. So I have an update on my situation. Iconectiv everything back into place even installed new bulbs and make sure that I attach them back on to the right area filled up the oil reservoir on the engine side and boat side I tested the oil sensors and also tested the over heating sensors and all seem to work fine. I did notice that when the alarm sounds I was slightly turn the key to the off position but not far enough to kill the engine and the alarm would go away. Now when I turn the key slightly the alarm would go away but the engine was still in reduction mode even when the alarm went off for a couple seconds. It's strange because after the alarm goes off then their runs fine for the rest of the day.

6. Member
    Could it be possibly an ignition issue related maybe also could the buzzer be bad?

7. Member
    Low voltage will also result in the alarm sounding.

If jiggling/willing the key switch affects the alarm then I would suspect a low voltage issue.

8. Member
    Hey yam911. I have an after-market switch panel that has a voltage meter on it and while the engine is running it usually shows about 14.3 which lets me know the stator is working properly charging the battery so I'm not sure what else it could be