Joining the Ultrex club

I recently got a new to me, Champion 21SX. It still had the original 24v 70lb thrust Motorguide.

1 day of fishing with my four boys on the boat and I knew I needed a trolling motor with I Pilot. I was going to upgrade electronics next winter, but this one could not wait and I think it will help us better enjoy fishing time with the kids. Spot Lock while I get lines untangled and help the boys land fish will be awesome.

Upgrading from 24V to 36V. Went with I Pilot Link. I will upgrade to Humminbird next winter.

Very excited. Hoping for a quick install. Still debating on installing a recepticle or hardwiring. I have read too many pros and cons threads. There is an existing recepticle with the Motorguide, so I may keep it.

2. Member
    Receps are known to burn out but it’s not so bad in freshwater use only,it’s a fairly common issue down here in brackish or salt water. There is mounting holes in the Ultrex mount to match up to hole pattern of your old MG. You’ll need to remove the side panel to see them,it’s the plastic piece with Minnkota written on it.

3. Member
    Thank you for that recommendation. It will be nice to not have to drill additional holes. I think this MG has a mounting bracket, but that might have been standard in 2007.

Ultrex will be here tomorrow. I am excited to get this sucker installed.

4. Member
    Motor worked awesome. I didn't bother with setting up the remote yet. I turned it on, it went and Spot Lock worked. I was happy.

As I have heard many other say.... how did I ever fish before Spot Lock.

I guess I will read through the setup to see what I may have missed.

5. Member
    Indexing the head unit to the center line of the boat is a great thing to do as it will help you to achieve proper steering travel from left to right starting with a level pedal. Watch for cable bind as during rotation the adjustment knob can catch the cables and rip them from the head unit. Get familiar with your remote so when the pedal goes down on you and it will, you can finish your day without too much trouble.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    Watch for cable bind as during rotation the adjustment knob can catch the cables and rip them from the head unit.
    I usually raise the motor about 4 inches the first time I deploy it for the day to prevent this.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I usually raise the motor about 4 inches the first time I deploy it for the day to prevent this.
    Thank you for the tip.

1. Do I have to setup the indexing while on the water? In the book it talks about disconnecting cables and what not, but I think that is when you want to put the motor on the starboard side.

2. Pedal goes out?? Why would it do that? Just a known issue?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Thank you for the tip.

1. Do I have to setup the indexing while on the water? In the book it talks about disconnecting cables and what not, but I think that is when you want to put the motor on the starboard side.

2. Pedal goes out?? Why would it do that? Just a known issue?
    You can run into issues with spot lock if it is not indexed properly, I have had it off by a tooth before and it kicked off spot lock (since it hits a hard stop and thinks it can go more). If you make it do full turns on the trailer than it is easy to do on land. Basically you want it to turn a touch past 180* both ways.

All you have to do it loosed cable tension and disconnect steering motor wires. Pretty straight forward
    Fish have fins, they swim