Ultrex issue with Momentary on button

So for the past 3 weekends I’ve noticed several instances where nothing would happen when I stepped on the momentary button. After pressing it 3 or 4 times or turning the pedal some, or playing with the speed setting some, it would always kick on. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or not but it’s been after fishing for a few hours each time. I’ve read about the magnet adjustment fix, but I’m not sure that’s the issue and I don’t want to mess with something trying to adjust until I’m 100% sure that’s the problem. The motor has seen 4 1/2 years of hard use and this has never happened before so I’m hesitant to believe that the magnet could suddenly need an adjustment. I have also read about the armature possibly having a dead spot but I’ve spent an hour this evening at home putting the prop in every position and I can’t get it to duplicate the failure. In the process of testing prop positions, it’s also worth mentioning that the momentary switch worked every single time I depressed it! All this leads me to wonder if maybe water is getting in somewhere and causing the problem. That would at least explain why I can’t duplicate the problem at home in the driveway. Any suggestions on how I can further diagnose the problem?

2. Member
    I just had mine repaired that turned out to be a dead spot on the armature. Symptoms were that it would seem to surge on the boat and hard to start unless I moved the pedal or changed the speed. The difference is that we were able to duplicate the problem out of water. With it deployed, it wouldn't start unless I tapped the prop with my shoe. It repeated the problem on several attempts. When they separated the case, there was a little moisture but nothing that looked like a major leak. The ASC ended up replacing the motor tube assembly.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    Sometimes it is as simple as a bad micro switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    Sometimes it is as simple as a bad micro switch.
    ^^^ This or just needing adjustment after 4 yrs of heavy use !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I checked last tight and sure enough the magnet pin was somehow mashed all of the way down. Moved it back op a little and good to go. I should’ve looked their first but I am hardheaded sometimes when it comes to attempting repairs! Thanks

6. Moderator
    What magnet pin are you referring to? Under the foot switch? I had this exact issue today with a Minn Kota Edge 70#. Put in the stow position it works fine and can't get it to replicate. Put it in the water and sometimes it would come on and sometimes not.