Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    As an old guy who started in the late 80’s, I can say for certain lower priced rods today are not all that different from the high end stuff. Different, yes, but not a large gap. That wasn’t true up until sometime in the mid 2000’s, then things started changing- probably something to do with most rods coming from China by then. I got into high end rod collecting about that time and the big difference was weight and sensitivity, of course. In 2005, a JDM rod like Evergreen or Gancraft would blow away anything from here ( nothing like hearing your $500 Gancraft go off like a gun shot snapping on a hook set ). Not so true now. I just bought a Abu Vendetta for my wife to fish with and the rod is equivalent in feel and sensitivity to a $500 rod from back then. Anyway, the point being the law of diminishing returns was hit years ago. I loved high end rods at the time because they were unique in lightness and the aesthetics on some were amazing. Now, a lot of lower priced rods even have similar aesthetics to high end stuff. So, when I retired a couple years ago and downsized my collection, I kept what I liked to fish with most. It’s a combination of high end and low end geared to what action and feel works best for me. One of my favorite rods is a Quantum rod from 20 years ago that probably cost $40 that I use because it casts anything well. I’ve used it for jerk baits to jigs and it’s tough as nails. I say, whatever makes your time on the water happier, go go it.

As I was up-dating my rods..... I had mostly G-loomis, I went with Tatula for my casting rods. and perfectly happy, now my spinning, hard to break from g-loomis for me. I have a couple techniques, that I just cannot change any aspect of the rod, reel and line.

I'm of the opinion that the gap has narrowed dramatically in recent years, and particularly the difference between mid- and high-end rods is really shrinking. I know many will disagree, but I think the difference in how a $150-200 rod and $400+ rod performs is really tough to pick up on unless you're actually comparing them side by side; even then, high-end stuff that hasn't been refreshed recently sometimes comes up short compared to newer mid-tier designs. I think that's primarily driven by some pretty dramatic improvements in blank and guide technology. Building rods myself, arguably the most variable component in cost of a build is the guide choice. It's pretty easy to spend $20-30 on a guide train, or $200+ on a guide train, and I really think the technology allowing cheaper guides to be built insert-free or otherwise much lighter weight really makes a huge difference in the finished product. Add to this that blank tech is starting to reach a point where the improvements being made are really, really marginal (I think due to newer resins allowing higher modulus blanks to maintain durability), and here we sit.

The other big difference I notice in the highest end and mid-tier stuff is centered around fit and finish type stuff like fancy reel seats, custom grips, innovative trim pieces, stuff like that where the mid-tier stuff is often still pretty plain and minimalist in that regard. Maybe not the best example as I know they incorporate a lot of new concepts in their higher-end model blanks, but comparing the look of a $200 Megabass rod to a $400+ Megabass rod illustrates what I mean there.

One last thing that I think makes a big contribution to narrowing the gap is blank manufacturers rethinking their classic tapers. Specifically I've noticed a trend of carrying the mass further up the blank from the butt than they did in the past which really helps in making the finished product balance well and therefore to feel really nice in hand.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    This is not a knock on anyone who uses and enjoys high end gear; I have GLX and Legend Extreme myself. I wonder how many pros would shake their heads and laugh at the amount of time and money spent by guys trying to find the "most sensitive", lightest, best guide train, best handle, etc etc? I seriously doubt any of them spends any time wondering and worrying whether they have "perfect" rod for each technique - they just make sure their gear works, line is fresh and hooks sharp and go to work. Yeah I know some/most get their gear from sponsors but I know that the guys using low-to-mid priced gear could care less about having to use NRX/Conquest/Xtasy/ZBone/Destroyer... My opinion is buy and use what you enjoy but don't overthink it.

We specifically design our rods and rod lines with this in mind. The ENOX series ($320) is designed for bottom contact, feel baits. There is no cranking rod, topwater rod, frog rod, etc. The IKOS series ($160) has cranking rods and great general purpose, do all rods. In the middle is where a majority of people land, and we have our largest variety of both general purpose and technique specific there with the ZOLO Series.

The other thing we do is carry over a lot of features - same grip shapes, guides, trimmed seats - so it doesn't feel odd moving between rod series. Fishing an IKOS right beside an ENOX or ZOLO actually makes sense and lets you have the same feel among all rod lines so you can spend more where it's more important.

The sad part is people, including dealers, turn their noses up at the IKOS line just because it's lower priced. They assume that means it's not as good. No, it just costs us less to build, so we can charge less for it. It's a best in class rod at that price point and exceptionally good for what it's designed to do. Is it an ENOX, no. It's not supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    As an old guy who started in the late 80’s, I can say for certain lower priced rods today are not all that different from the high end stuff. Different, yes, but not a large gap. That wasn’t true up until sometime in the mid 2000’s, then things started changing- probably something to do with most rods coming from China by then. I got into high end rod collecting about that time and the big difference was weight and sensitivity, of course. In 2005, a JDM rod like Evergreen or Gancraft would blow away anything from here ( nothing like hearing your $500 Gancraft go off like a gun shot snapping on a hook set ). Not so true now. I just bought a Abu Vendetta for my wife to fish with and the rod is equivalent in feel and sensitivity to a $500 rod from back then. Anyway, the point being the law of diminishing returns was hit years ago. I loved high end rods at the time because they were unique in lightness and the aesthetics on some were amazing. Now, a lot of lower priced rods even have similar aesthetics to high end stuff. So, when I retired a couple years ago and downsized my collection, I kept what I liked to fish with most. It’s a combination of high end and low end geared to what action and feel works best for me. One of my favorite rods is a Quantum rod from 20 years ago that probably cost $40 that I use because it casts anything well. I’ve used it for jerk baits to jigs and it’s tough as nails. I say, whatever makes your time on the water happier, go go it.
    I would put my old Loomis bcr glxs.... to all most anything out there today as far as sensitivity....very sensitive sticks but a little brittle

7. Member
    One thing I've noticed is the actual weight reduction in the less expensive rods. Most of my rods are the OG Daiwa Tatula (black and gold). None of them cost me more than $125 new about 4 years ago. I've bought several more expensive (some WAY more expensive) but only one higher priced rod still survives, a Dobyns DX745. While I'm not old (43), my hands, wrists and elbows have taken a beating over the years from competitive sports (fishing and baseball) and manual labor (licensed general contractor and electrician). My body feels better since I took an engineering job but the damage is done. The lighter weight rods make fishing more enjoyable and its a bonus that I don't have to spend $400 or more to get a light and sensitive rod. I don't fault guys who buy top shelf gear. One thing to keep in mind about the pros and their budget gear - they have so much more "feel" than the average guy ever will. Being on the water for hours at a time almost every day leads to being so much more in-tune with what's going on.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

8. Member
    $100 star rods are fine by me, they are inshore rods but catch Bass just fine. Bonus is the lifetime over the counter warranty.

9. Member
    I’m in the same boat I’ve been using the high end stuff for a while and recently got a kayak for river fishing I’m thinking I’m going to use budget rods In the yak

Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    The true "premium high-end" rods are those in the $400 - $600 range. Yes, they have great blanks built with the best components and they feel wonderful, but you don't need rods like that to be successful. You really don't even need the $200 - $400 rods to catch lots of fish. There are many fine rods in the $125 - $200 range, and there are people who catch lots of fish and win plenty of tournaments with rods under $100.

The best rods are extremely light and sensitive, but if you spend most of your time chunking spinnerbaits in shallow water you will find lots of very nice rods for $100. Most manufacturers encourage their pros to use a wide range of their products because the average consumer can't afford to buy $300 rods and reels. If guys like KVD use and promote rods and reels that are in the $90 - $150 range they will work just fine for the rest of us.

If you can afford a $500 rod with a $400 reel go for it, but it won't make you catch a lot more fish.
    I agree with you for the most part...

I use only st Croix legend series rods (all but 2 have a $400 or higher price tag). I like using nice equipment and have upgraded over many years to get to the point I’m at.

For the fishing I do, I definitely don’t the ultra sensitive blanks (for spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, etc) but there has been several times where I wouldnt have been able to detect a spinnerbait bite without my high end rods. But you are correct that 95% of the time, I could get by with a Bass X ($100 rod).

some spend their money on cigars, expensive whiskey, gambling, guns... we all have our own taste... I like high end St Croix rods.

good discussion though. And some valid points
    Last edited by caskey_b; 05-07-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

I bought 3 Shimano Exprides over the last year from the Rods For Sale section on here. I used the 7'2"MH Expride crawling a 3/8 oz football jig to win my club tourney last Saturday. I have to admit, I was really impressed with how sensitive it was as the fish were barely picking it up in the 46 degree water. The next day I used the 7'2" MH Composite Expride with a Jackhammer to catch back to back 5 lbers. I love that rod as well. Can't wait to win a tourney using my 7'2"H Expride in the near future.

12. Member
    Exprides are tough to beat for sure.

I think that it all boils down to what is comfortable to the owner of the rod. Over the years i have bought and sold several Megabass, Dobyns, and G loomis rods. I still own the ones that serve there purpose and am happy with them. I think the folks on this board understand they are a luxury item. Personally I look at it different then some. I'm not going to sell my NRX 852s to go buy a SLX 7'M. I can catch fish with either and I already invested in the rods and they are still a pleasure to use. I suppose it boils down to what it is worth to you personally. I have been lucky enough to be able to fish between 30 and 70 days a year for the last 10 years and feel like I get my moneys worth every day on the water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12