2017 Evinrude G2 250

I'm looking at a boat that has a 250 G2 on it(Blown up with 190 hours). Boat is getting a new powerhead and has roughly three years of warranty left. Thoughts on Warranty, parts availability, resale, durability of these motors, etc? I had a Johnson Fast Strike when I was younger, other than that, I'm a lot more familiar with Mercury ProXS and Yamaha SHO. Any information or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    Check and see how many places will work on a G2 within an acceptable distance of where you live. Then perhaps give a few of them a call and see if they plan to continue servicing them for the future. Dealer support would be my biggest concern.

3. Member
    Love mine so far

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    Check and see how many places will work on a G2 within an acceptable distance of where you live. Then perhaps give a few of them a call and see if they plan to continue servicing them for the future. Dealer support would be my biggest concern.
    ^^^This^^^

I wouldn't buy a boat with an Evinrude on it...

I'm trading in mine for a 2022 Z520L w/Merc 4s

I bought my rig brand spanking new in 2018 and I've had some major issues with it with only 135hrs on it now. My dealer said he won't be working on Evinrude's anymore. He's said it was like pulling teeth to get paid from Evinrude for the warranty work he's done on my boat and a hassle to get an Evinrude tech on the line to help them. Those issues won't take long to spread among the dealerships across the country and I think more and more dealers will stop servicing them.

My rig will be for sale this fall if you're interested. It's loaded to the gills and has been babied and garage kept.

Just my first hand experience and .02 .....

Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

5. Member
    I wouldn't buy one without it.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    I wouldn't buy one without it.
    I 2nd that.! But I am capable of doing my own work.!

7. Member
    Thanks for the info. I feel confident that my mechanic will work on the motor for me as needed. They may not service them, but he will service it for me. That part isn’t an issue. That being said, I don’t want it to spend more time in his shop than in my garage. I’m getting a great deal on the boat(as I should be) but I’m going to go ahead and go with it. I’m no boat mechanic by any means, but I’m fairly good at handling small/medium issues myself when needed. You all running evinrude oil, or is it junk and be better off with something like amsoil or klotz? Anything to keep an eye on with the steering system, the electronic hotfoot thing(that’s probably the weirdest part for me), or the digital monitoring system? I know there’s a lot of “features” that could potentially screw up. Like I don’t want my boat to auto trim ever. I don’t want to be able to switch between hand throttle and foot throttle... ever. I don’t know about the power steering thing. I prefer hydraulic sterling. This will be different in those regards. Some of that stuff I feel like is just other things with potential to mess up... maybe not, but that’s what it looks like from the outside. It also seems to be difficult to find a lot of operation info on these motors. I’d like to find a full service manual and be able to do some learning as well. I think the concept of the motor is very interesting, but could be very costly too. Luckily pretty much everybody I fish with has boats too, so I can afford to roll the dice some. Lol

8. Member
    Evinrude oil is not junk and neither is Amsoil or Klotz. You should have no problem with any of these.
    No disrespect but you have several presumptions / preconception about the technology.
    Many Ev pros have commented that the power steering made them a better driver. They did not need to keep both hands on the wheel at high speed. They had good control. The steering is hydraulic by the way.
    Many Ev pros, including Denny Brauer told me they really like the capability to switch between hand and foot throttle especially on long distances. The switch is easily made via a gauge. While it took a little getting used to it, the Evinrude pedal design reduced ankle fatigue, took less effort to push and was easier to operate in similar fashion to a truck. You can have it set to foot only via Evirude diagnostics.
    Auto trim, I-Trim is easily turned off via an Evinrude gauge. When Armed, the driver always ability to disarm the auto feature with a simple tap to the trim switch. Trim up or down. The driver is never bound to use it all the time.

In the end, it’s your boat and motor to run / operate as you see fit.

9. Member
    Totally agree ^^
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Evinrude oil is not junk and neither is Amsoil or Klotz. You should have no problem with any of these.
    No disrespect but you have several presumptions / preconception about the technology.
    Many Ev pros have commented that the power steering made them a better driver. They did not need to keep both hands on the wheel at high speed. They had good control. The steering is hydraulic by the way.
    Many Ev pros, including Denny Brauer told me they really like the capability to switch between hand and foot throttle especially on long distances. The switch is easily made via a gauge. While it took a little getting used to it, the Evinrude pedal design reduced ankle fatigue, took less effort to push and was easier to operate in similar fashion to a truck. You can have it set to foot only via Evirude diagnostics.
    Auto trim, I-Trim is easily turned off via an Evinrude gauge. When Armed, the driver always ability to disarm the auto feature with a simple tap to the trim switch. Trim up or down. The driver is never bound to use it all the time.

In the end, it’s your boat and motor to run / operate as you see fit.
    Good write up bighare. Can you elaborate a little more on the auto trim? My issue is when I go to load my boat on the trailer I trim it up. But when I give it a little gas to "power" it on up it wants to automatically trim back down...some of the time! Worried about dinging up a prop. Not sure how to control the auto on and off? My Evinrude gauge is covered up by graphs that also provide engine performance data via ethernet link. Motor is a 2019 G2 225 HO. Thanks - Robert

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatSC View Post
    Good write up bighare. Can you elaborate a little more on the auto trim? My issue is when I go to load my boat on the trailer I trim it up. But when I give it a little gas to "power" it on up it wants to automatically trim back down...some of the time! Worried about dinging up a prop. Not sure how to control the auto on and off? My Evinrude gauge is covered up by graphs that also provide engine performance data via ethernet link. Motor is a 2019 G2 225 HO. Thanks - Robert
    Trimming down when giving it some power is not the auto trim feature. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I do not use the auto trim and it does it to me as well. It must some type of feature to prevent an amateur from looking like and idiot, but is not a great feature for powerloading.

12. Member
    G2 has a feature to prevent damage to the tilt - not trim system, to auto trim down if the engine is in the shallow water drive position. This is actually a medium to low tilt position. The tilt helix does not like to handle a lot of engine power. The best way to prevent potential damage to eliminate the potential of high throttle being applied with the engine in the tilt position. The engine should stop at the highest trim point as calibrated.
    Check the high trim calibration point. Maybe all you need to do is calibrate the upper trim limit a little higher at least the point where the trim rods are at full extension. You should not be tapping the bottom at this point in a power load situation.
    Remember the more tilt up you have, the down thrust drives the transom deeper and the bow higher.