Johnson 150 Faststrike Lower Unit

I have a J150GLEIS Johnson 150 Faststrike with a dead lower unit. I did a lot of research on this and it appears that my engine comes with Upper Drive Shaft 5000619 (older numbers are 435763 & 335720). For comparison purposes, in 1992, this engine changed over to a 5000615 Upper Drive Shaft number, and i went a few years above 92 and still same 5000615 shaft. There is a difference between the 2 types, mainly how they install into the lower unit, one is a pin the other is a sort of snap in clip.

Now. Heres the issue. First, im going to past information from SEI's website under tech support forums:

"Our SE306 will replace Johnson/Evinrude V6 Outboards from 1979-Current.
    We use the "Ocean Pro" style water intakes. It may look different than some older models, but will function just fine.
    Our unit does not come with the upper driveshaft. You will need to reuse your old upper driveshaft, or purchase a new one from an OE or aftermarket supplier. The upper driveshaft you will need will be the newer style which uses a clip to secure it."

Also, this taken from the product page of the SE 306 lower unit :

"We use the newer style upper driveshaft with a clip. If your upper shaft is not the newer style you will need to replace it. ".

So digging around and reading forums I concluded that if I want a new lower unit, they make one and they all use the "newer" style driveshaft that pushes down into the lower unit and snaps into the ring. It appears that this new lower unit is being sold by several different outlets for my specific engine. They dont specifically state to purchase the new 5000615 Upper Drive Shaft and this will work in my engine and the new lower unit. So I call SEI and talk to a tech / mechanic one named Rob. Rob tells me that I can not do this and it will not work. There is no solution for my problem that will allow the SEI 306-B lowerunit to work with my engine unless I have a custom driveshaft machined for my issue because they are slightly differnt lengths and something about the crankshaft being different and the splines will not align properly.

nI have went to all the forums and googled this issue trying to find confirmation that purchasing a 306b lowerunit with the 5000615 will work with my J150GLEIS 150 Faststrike with no success. Is anyone out there familiar with this and can steer me to the right direction? Much appreciated!

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The change in the drive shaft was due to a crank shaft change The 1991 was a one off year and had a different crank from the rest of the years.

3. Member
    So how do I make it work with a new aftermarket lower?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Use your drive shaft.

5. Member
    Ok, can i just buy the newer 5000615 ds with the "bull nose" end (mine got the pin end) that you tap / click into the new lower unit? they aint but $100 and i wouldnt have to take it apart to put my ds in, would be easier for me to do im willing pay the extra so i dont have to disassemble the new lu.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't believe the 615 will work on your block due to the spline difference on the crank shaft. It's not the gearcase side but the engine side.

7. Member
    SEI sells the correct upper drive shaft for your motor. The old "pin" style didn't last long during production. It was the early style '91.

8. Member
    Yah well like I said in my post, i called SEI talked to 2 different people they said they dont have the drive shaft. If you have experience in this please provide the information I need. Thank you.

9. Member
    They are trying to say they don't have the pin type driveshaft. The driveshaft they have, the 615, is what you need. There's not alot of info that people know about concerning these pin style shafts, because they only made a few in early '91, and that was long ago. Rob is a good tech and I think this was probably before his time.

10. Member
    just ordered 5000615 ds, 306-b lu, and a wp kit.

11. Member
    You could've just bought my Lower unit and be fishing... JS

12. Member
    what lower unit are you talking about dlinzy

13. Member
    I poked 2 holes in my Pistons so i completely tore it apart and am selling everything piece by piece.
    Cowling to Props