Yough Reservoir, Jockey Hollow Boat Launch

I fished the Yough Resv. quite a bit in the 90's and early 00's and always used the Rt 40 launch or the dam breast launch.
    I am back to fishing local with a new Ranger walleye boat and wonder if the Jockey Hollow Boat Launch would be a better choice than the Rt 40 launch when there is a lot of boat traffic (less wake in Jockey Hollow no wake zone)?
    Any thoughts from the Yough Resv. veterans?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Why?

If it is busy you will have the same thing at all launches. With that said Jockey Hollow is the worst of all the launches. Single lane and poor courtesy dock. The parking lot is the smallest. During peak times you can have long wait times to put in or take out. You have to be careful in low water so you don't hit one of those steel crappie cages.

In any event if your going during the week there is no advantage, use which one you like. During the weekends / holidays my recomendation is to stay far away from the RT 40 Bridge launch.

My personal favorite is the dam launch, best two lane ramp, best courtesy docks, deeper water, a lot of parking. NOTE since the beach is by the ramp there is a no wake zone to the side of the launch plus there just isnt that much traffic , waves etc at this launch. Last of all they have the best restroom near the ranger office on top of the dam.

Any more question ask?
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

3. Member
    I would say the launch at the dam is the best to use. And I agree on holiday weekends stay away or go early and leave early, or go at like 6pm and fish into the dark.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

4. Member
    thanks guys. I agree w/ using the dam launch and the park office restroom. It's been so long since I fished the Yough Resv. that back then the dam parking lot was gravel, no paving or lines. Also, no lights. In the summer we would put in about 4 PM and fish to 10 PM. In the fall when they lowered the lake, the dam launch was the only launch we could put in on (and be sure we wouldn't get stuck with a 2WD truck). And boy howdy was it dark with no lights on a new moon night! We'll steer clear of the Jockey Hollow launch; too tight/small. Thanks again.

5. Member

Jockey Hollow

You Can Launch At Jockey Hollow , But You Will Have To Put The Boat In From RT 40 , As Well Park.
    Attached Images Attached Images