Thread: Motorguide X-5

Motorguide X-5

Just a little vent !! I just spent 5 days running one of these motors. I’ve never seen such an ill-built poorly engineered motor since I started fishing. How they ever convinced anyone to buy this motor is beyond me. I remember seeing Shaw Grigsby promoting this motor, boy was he blowing smoke . Lol. There, I feel better now.

I have had one for 5 years now. I actually like mine.

Only issues:

1. Not a good trolling motor in the grass which this is a common complaint on motorguide. I have a ninja grass blade on mine and I actually sharpen the 2 blade prop it came with to cut grass better.
    2. The Constant/Off/On switch is in a bad location for the design of the switch itself. It is incredibly easy to hit this switch unintentionally and actually it is also easy to tear it off too.

I love the variable ratio steering or whatever they call it. It makes a mountain of difference steering in current and in waves. I would take my X5 over a fortrex because of this steering feature alone.

I absolutely hate running a fortrex in current or waves because it kicks out too easily. I know you can add those troll perfect sleeves, but that also effects steering effort.

It is no comparison though to modern day trolling motors. The Ghost, Force, Ultrex, Tour Pro, etc are all better trolling motors without a doubt.

3. Member
    Glad you enjoy yours. I was in another guys boat and the things I didn’t like were the extra long bullet or nose cone,(shaft placement), it just had a mind of its own swinging around, and the fact that it needed to be lowered another 8 inches, but if you did that, the motor would hang over the front of the mount when stowed.